News Calendar About Statistics FAQs Contact Links
 International Students & Scholars Office
 Students Scholars Administrators
Prospective Students
Current Students
  General Information
  F-1 Students
    Maintain Status
    Social Security Card
    Visa Renewal
  J-1 Students
  Address Change

Off-Campus Employment for F-1 Students

F-1 students may engage in off-campus employment under the options specified below.  You may not begin employment off-campus before obtaining written authorization from the ISSO or the USCIS.  Please contact your ISSO advisor if you have questions about any of the following options:

On-Campus Employment at an Off-Campus Location
Please refer to section on On-Campus Employment.

Students Who Wish to Gain Experience Related to Their Field of Study
Curricular Practical Training (CPT):   for work that is a necessary part of a student's academic program.

Optional Practical Training (OPT):  for work experience related to a student's major field of study, but not required by their academic program.

17-Month STEM Extension of Optional Practical Training (OPT): for students in a limited number of specific majors in the fields of science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM).

Students Experiencing Unexpected Financial Difficulties
Off-campus employment permission known as Severe Economic Hardship is available only to students who have already been studying in F-1 status for a full academic year (two semesters) and are in good academic standing.


Boston University
February 28, 2005

Boston University International Students & Scholars Office