Applying for Curricular Practical Training (CPT)
You must meet with your ISSO advisor
to apply for CPT. Please complete the following steps
well in advance of the date you wish to begin employment
(applications are also available at the ISSO):
- Meet with your internship coordinator to arrange your curricular placement. Graduate students pursuing
research off-campus in order to complete their degree should
meet with their thesis or dissertation advisor.
- After a placement is arranged, have your intern coordinator
or thesis/dissertation advisor complete the form entitled "Curricular
Practical Training Recommendation for F-1 Students."
- Important: If the employment is part of a course,
you must register for that course during the semester or summer
session for which the CPT will be authorized to take place. At
the time of your CPT appointment, the ISSO must be able to verify
in the university registration system that you have registered
for the appropriate course.
- Schedule an appointment to meet with
your ISSO advisor at least two weeks before the start of your
proposed employment. Bring the following to your appointment:
- Completed CPT Recommendation for F-1 Students
- Current I-20 and any previous I-20s
- Form I-94 or print out
Important: You cannot
lawfully begin employment until an ISSO advisor has
approved your application and issued you a new I-20
reflecting your Curricular Practical Training employment
authorization. You will also be given a letter outlining
the conditions of your Curricular Practical Training. You
should present this letter, along with your I-20 and
passport, to your employer.