News Calendar About Statistics FAQs Contact Links
 International Students & Scholars Office
 Students Scholars Administrators
Prospective Students
Current Students
  General Information
  F-1 Students
  J-1 Students
  Address Changes

Reporting Change of U.S. Address
Information for Students


Notifying the DHS of an Address Change – Students and their Dependents

F-1 Students and J-1 Students
You are required by DHS to inform Boston University (BU) within 10 days of any change to your physical residence in the U.S. You must do so by updating your Immigration-U.S. Address online through the Student Link. The changes will then be reported electronically to DHS through the Student & Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS).

The Immigration-U.S. Address will be used to report to DHS your physical residence only.  Your physical residence is defined as where you live, not your school, lab, or a P.O. Box.  You may report a separate mailing address for use by Boston University using the Local Address or Home Address fields in the Student Link.

F-2 and J-2 Dependents
If you continue to live at the same location as the F-1 or J-1 spouse or parent of whom you are a dependent, then your address will be updated through SEVIS when the F-1 or J-1 visa holder reports the change. However, if you move to an address different than that of the primary F-1 or J-1 visa holder, you must then follow the same reporting procedure as stated below for “Individuals in immigration classifications other then F or J”.

J-1 Students who possess a DS-2019 NOT issued by Boston University
You must report an address change to the institution or organization that issued your DS-2019 in order to comply with DHS regulations. You should also update your Immigration-U.S. Address in the Student Link to ensure the ISSO has the most accurate contact information for you.

Students in immigration classifications other than F or J
If your address has changed since the last time you were issued a Form I-94 Arrival/Departure Record (the little white card in your passport), you must report your change in US address to the USCIS directly within 10 days of your move in order to satisfy the notification requirement.

Effective January 2007, you may report your change of address electronically via the USCIS website. The ISSO recommends that students and their dependents report their address change electronically whenever possible.

Alternatively, the paper format of the Form AR-11 can be downloaded from the USCIS website. Lastly, a paper version of Form AR-11 is available at the ISSO if you are not able to complete it electronically or download and print it from the links provided above.

If you have been selected for Special Registration through the National Security Entry/Exit System (NSEERS), you must file Form AR -11SR in paper format. There is no electronic notification method at this time for persons selected for Special Registration. The Form AR-11SR can be downloaded and printed from the USCIS website. Alternatively, a paper version of the AR-11SR is available for pickup at the ISSO. The paper form must be completed, printed and then mailed to the USCIS.

If you complete the electronic notification, the ISSO recommends that you print, sign and date a paper copy of the electronic sumbmission and keep it for your records. If you complete the paper version of the AR-11 or AR-11SR, the ISSO recommends that you make a copy of your completed form for your records before you mail it. Use Certified Mail and request a Return Receipt from the U.S. Postal Service. When you receive the Return Receipt, attach it to your copy of the form. This will provide evidence that you sent notification of your change of address in case there is a discrepancy with DHS records. You should also update your Immigration-U.S. Address in the Student Link to ensure the ISSO has the most accurate contact information for you.

Notifications that Do Not Constitute Compliance with Federal Address Reporting Requirement

Filing a forwarding address with the U.S. Postal Service will not satisfy the federal reporting requirement . Mail from the U.S. government will not be forwarded by the Post Office and will be returned to the issuing government agency as undeliverable.

If You Have an Application Currently Pending with a DHS Office
If you have filed an application and it is pending with a DHS Service Center or other field office (e.g. for work authorization or petition for Permanent Residence) updating the Student Link or filing the AR-11 (or AR-11SR) WILL NOT update your address with the respective DHS office. You must inform the appropriate DHS office separately in order to update your application address and ensure that you will receive notifications regarding your petition. Contact your advisor at the ISSO for instructions on the best way to inform these offices of your change of address.



Boston University
February 28, 2005

Boston University International Students & Scholars Office