News Calendar About Statistics FAQs Contact Links
 International Students & Scholars Office
 Students Scholars Administrators
Prospective Scholars
Form B (Adobe PDF File)
Obtaining H-1 Visa
Obtaining J-1 Visa
J Financial Requirements
ISSO Scholar and Staff Schedule
Scholar Advising Assignments
ISSO Scholar Services Calendar
Scholar Services at BUMC
J-1 Scholar Orientation
I-9 Employment Eligibility
    When must I-9 be completed?
    Weekly I-9 times/appointments?
    I-9 completion - what to bring?
Wednesday Walk-In Hours
Current Scholars
Address Change
Social Security Card Application
J-1 Rights and Responsibilities
H-1 Rights and Responsibilities
J-1 Student Intern Evaluation
End of Employment Notification

Reporting Change of U.S. Address
Information for Scholars and their Dependents

International scholars employed or sponsored by Boston University must update their university record and inform the U.S. Department of Homeland Security upon changing address within the United States.

Step 1: Notify the ISSO via email

All international scholars employed or sponsored by Boston University must inform the ISSO immediately upon changing address to insure that your record with our office is up-to-date. Address updates can be sent to the general international scholar email address at Please include your full legal name and your BU ID number.

For Boston University-sponsored scholars in J-1 classification, email notification of an address update to the ISSO will be used to update your immigration record through the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS).

Step 2: Notify the Office of Payroll via the Employee Self-Service tab on the BUWorks Central portal (for paid employees)

International scholars who receive a Boston University paycheck, must separately inform BU Office of Payroll of any address change to ensure that they continue to receive pay stubs and tax documents without delay. To update your personal record with the Office of Payroll, please log in to the Employee Self-Service tab in the BUWorks Central portal using your BU login name and Kerberos password.

Step 3: Notify the USCIS of an Address Change within 10 days

Federal immigration law states that all nonimmigrants (except those in A or G status), 14 years of age or older, who will remain in the U.S. for 30 days or longer, are required by law to notify the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS), under U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) within 10 days of any changes to their living address in the U.S . The parent or legal guardian of a nonimmigrant child under the age of 14 is responsible for notifying USCIS of the child's change of address. Failure to comply with this requirement is a violation of immigration status that is punishable by fine or imprisonment and/or removal (“deportation”).

Notifying the USCIS of an Address Change – Scholars and their Dependents

This section describes the important steps you must take to inform USCIS if your living address in the United States changes during your stay. The procedure for informing USCIS of an address update differs based on immigration category.

J-1 Scholars who possess a DS-2019 issued Boston University (Research Scholar, Professor, Short-term Scholar and Specialist)
You are required by USCIS to inform BU within 10 days of any change to your physical residence in the
U.S. You must report an address change by contacting the ISSO by email or in writing (remember to include your BU ID). The ISSO will then report the changes electronically to USCIS through SEVIS. Your physical residence is defined as where you live, not where you work and not a P.O. Box. If it is impossible for mail to be delivered to your physical residence, please report to the ISSO both your mailing address and your actual physical address. We are required to report you physical address to USCIS, but will maintain your mailing address for communication purposes.

J-1 Exchange Visitors who possess a DS-2019 NOT issued by Boston University (including J-1 Students authorized for Academic Training)
If your DS-2019 was not issued by Boston University, then BU does not have access to your SEVIS immigration record. You must report an address change to the institution that issued your DS-2019 in order to comply with USCIS regulations.

J-2 Dependents
If you continue to live at the same location as the J-1 spouse or parent of whom you are a dependent, then your address will be updated through SEVIS when the J-1 visa holder reports the change. However, if you move to an address different than that of the primary J-1 visa holder, then you must follow the same reporting procedure as stated below for “H-1B, TN, O-1 Employees, and Scholars and Dependents in all other classifications.”

F-1 Employees Authorized for Curricular or Optional Practical Training

If your Form I-20 was issued by a school other than Boston University , then BU does not have access to your SEVIS record. You must report an address change to the institution that issued your Form I-20 in order to comply with USCIS regulations. If you are a Boston University student, see Reporting Change of Address: Information for Students.

H-1B, TN, O-1 Employees, and Scholars and Dependents in all other classifications

If your address has changed since the last time you were issued a Form I-94 Arrival/Departure Record (the little white card in your passport), you must report your change in US address to the USCIS directly within 10 days of your move in order to satisfy the notification requirement.

You may report your change of address electronically via the USCIS website. The ISSO recommends that scholars and dependents report their address change electronically whenever possible.

Alternatively, the paper format of the Form AR-11 can be downloaded from the USCIS website.

Lastly, a paper version of Form AR-11 is available at the ISSO if you are not able to complete it electronically or download and print it from the links provided above.

When you complete the electronic notification, the ISSO recommends that you print, sign and date a paper copy of the electronic sumbmission and keep it for your records. If you mail in a paper form, use Certified Mail and request a Return Receipt from the U.S. Postal Service. When you receive the Return Receipt, attach it to your copy of the form. This will provide evidence that you sent notification of your change of address in case there is a discrepancy with USCIS records.


Notifications that Do Not Constitute Compliance with Federal Address Reporting Requirement

Filing a forwarding address with the U.S. Postal Service will not satisfy the federal reporting requirement . Mail from the U.S. government will not be forwarded by the Post Office and will be returned to the issuing government agency as undeliverable.


If You Have an Application Currently Pending with a USCIS Office
If you have filed an application and it is pending with a USCIS Service  Center
or other field office (e.g. for work authorization or petition for Permanent Residence) informing the ISSO or filing the AR-11 WILL NOT update your address with the respective USCIS office. You must inform the appropriate USCIS office separately in order to update your application address and ensure that you will receive notifications regarding your petition. Contact your advisor at the ISSO for instructions on the best way to inform these offices of your change of address.



Boston University
December 13, 2011

Boston University International Students & Scholars Office