Volume 5, Number 1
January 26, 2009
The Communiqué is an on-going series of messages to departments who sponsor international scholars at Boston University. With the Communiqué, we offer information that helps in the processing of scholar immigration-related documents and petitions. We hope you find the Communiqué a useful tool in working with the ISSO and in successfully hiring and sponsoring scholars from around the world. Past Communiqués are archived on our web site. Click here to go to the archive page.
- New Services Available at Medical Campus
- Modified ISSO Schedule for Scholar I-9s
- Scholar Services Weekly Calendar – Spring 2009
1. New ISSO Scholar Services to Begin at Medical Campus
The ISSO is pleased to announce that beginning Thursday, February 5th, we will hold a weekly office hours at Boston University Medical Campus for administrators and international scholars. Miriam Schmidt, International Scholar Advisor, will be available Thursday mornings to complete I-9s, meet with administrators and scholars and provide an orientation to new J-1 scholars. Schedule of services is as follows:
9:00-10:00 a.m. – Walk-In Hours for Scholars and Administrators
During this time, new and extending international employees can complete I-9 Forms. Administrators may also drop off ISSO request packets. Scholars in J-1 immigration status may use this time to bring in their DS-2019 documents for a travel validation signature, provided they contact Miriam in advance.
10:30 a.m. – 12:00 noon – New J-1 Scholar Orientation
We will offer an orientation session that is required for all new J-1 scholars. No reservation is needed to attend the orientation. These services will be provided every Thursday morning at:
BU Office of Human Resources – Medical Campus
801 Massachusetts Avenue (Crosstown Center), Suite 400
2. Modified ISSO Schedule for Scholar I-9s
Any professor, researcher or employee of Boston University who is not a U.S. citizen or a lawful U.S. permanent resident (“green card” holder), must complete an I-9 Employment Eligibility Verification form at the ISSO within three days of beginning employment.
Effective February 5, 2009, the ISSO I-9 schedule is as follows:
- DESIGNATED WEEKLY I-9 HOURS FOR NEW AND CONTINUING EMPLOYEES : The ISSO offers three weekly I-9 hours for new and continuing employees. No appointment is necessary during designated I-9 hours.
- Tuesdays 9:00-10:00 am – ISSO, 19 Deerfield Street, 2nd Floor
- Wednesdays 2:00-5:00 pm – ISSO, 19 Deerfield Street, 2nd Floor
- Thursdays 9:00-10:00 am – BU MED HR, 801 Massachusetts Avenue, Crosstown Center, Suite 400
- I-9 APPOINTMENTS FOR H-1 and O-1 EMPLOYEES: Employees sponsored by Boston University in H-1 and O-1 employment classifications will be asked to arrange appointment with their advisor to complete an I-9.
Having individual appointments will allow employees to select a time that more conveniently falls within their personal schedule and will also allow time for ISSO staff to provide more complete advising to scholars in H-1 and O-1 status with regards to their immigration rights and responsibilities.
- I-9s FOR NEW SCHOLARS IN J-1 STATUS: As a reminder, all new scholars in J-1 status (Research Scholar, Professor, Short-Term Scholar or Specialist) who are beginning their employment with Boston University will complete the form I-9 as part of the required New J-1 Scholar Orientation Session – offered weekly on Mondays at 11:00 at the ISSO and Thursdays at 10:30 at the Medical Campus. J-1 Scholars who are extending their immigration documents and employment authorization should utilize the weekly I-9 hours (listed above). J-1 Scholars sponsored by Boston Medical Center (not BU) must complete I-9s at BMC Office of Human Resources.
3. ISSO Scholar Services Weekly Calendar – Spring 2009
Please refer to the calendar below as a quick reference of weekly ISSO services provided to scholars and BU hiring departments:
I-9 Hour – ISSO, 19 Deerfield Street, 2nd Floor
(H-1 and O-1 Employees should call ISSO for an I-9 appointment)
ISSO Closed for Staff Meeting
Walk-In Hour – Medical Campus HR, 801 Mass Ave, Suite 400
(I-9s, administrator and scholar questions, J-1 travel signatures by prior arrangement)
New J-1 Scholar Orientation – ISSO, 19 Deerfield Street, 2nd Floor
New J-1 Scholar Orientation – Medical Campus HR, 801 Mass Ave, Suite 400
Wednesday Walk-In Hours – ISSO, 19 Deerfield Street, 2nd Floor
(I-9s, administrator and scholar questions, J-1 travel signatures)
We are very pleased to be able to offer services at the Medical Campus, and we hope that this will enable us to better serve the needs of Boston University hiring and host departments as well as those of our international teaching and research scholars.
Your Scholar Services team,
Jeanne E. Kelley
M. Andrea Popa
Assistant Director for Scholar Services
Peter F. O’Meara
International Scholar Advisor – Charles River Campus
International Scholar Advisor – Medical Campus
International Students & Scholars Office Boston University
19 Deerfield Street, 2nd Floor
Boston, MA 02215
Tel: (617) 353-3565
Fax: (617) 358-1170