ISSO Spring Workshop Series:
F-1 and J-1 Student Training
All workshops held at
International Students & Scholars Office
888 Commonwealth Ave, 2nd Floor
F-1 Optional Practical Training: Application Basics
The ISSO offers an F-1 OPT “Application Basics” workshop the first Friday of every month (excluding January and September). This session answers basis questions for students planning to apply for OPT, including eligibility factors, timing, considerations for travel and employment, and tips for preparing and mailing the OPT application.
The Friday, March 14 session will address unique timing considerations for Ph.D. students in final dissertation stages.
- Friday, February 7, from 3:00-4:00 p.m.
- Friday, March 7, from 3:00-4:00 p.m.
- Friday, March 21 (for Ph.D. students only), from 3:00-4:00 p.m.
- Friday, April 4, from 3:00-4:00 p.m.
- Friday, May 2, from 3:00-4:00 p.m.
- Friday, June 6, from 3:00-4:00 p.m.
F-1 Optional Practical Training: Transitions (STEM, Cap-Gap)
The F-1 OPT “Transitions” workshop is offered monthly. This workshop is for students who have already submitted an OPT application and who may already be on a period of OPT. This workshop covers advanced topics including 17-month extensions for students in certain Science, Technology, Engineering and Math (STEM) fields and questions about moving to H-1B employment-based immigration sponsorship, including “cap-gap” extensions of status and work permission.
- Friday, Feb 21, from 3:00-4:00 p.m.
- Friday, March 28, from 3:00-4:00 p.m.
- Friday, April 25, from 3:00-4:00 p.m.
- Friday, May 9, from 3:00-4:00 p.m.
J-1 Academic Training: Application Basics
The J-1 “Academic Training” workshop is intended for Boston University-sponsored Exchange Visitors who wish to apply for employment or training permission related to their academic program. The workshop will cover eligibility factors, suitable training opportunities and the application process for Academic Training. J-1 students sponsored by other sponsors may attend this ISSO workshop, but must request approval for Academic Training directly from their program sponsors.
- Friday, April 11, from 3:00-4:00 p.m.