Professor of Social Science, College of General Studies
- BA (history), Johns Hopkins University
- MA (Russian history), PhD (Russian, economic & modern European history), New York University
The Soviet Colossus: A History of the USSR. New York, Charles Scribner’s Sons, 1985.
Second edition, published by Unwin Hyman, 1990.
- Third edition, published by M.E. Sharpe, 1993.
- Fourth edition, retitled The Soviet Colossus: History and Aftermath, 1996.
- Fifth edition, 2001.
- Sixth edition, 2006.
- Seventh edition, 2010.
- A Book of the Month Club Alternate Selection, 1985.
Modernization and Revolution in China. (co‑author with June Grasso and Jay Corrin), Armonk, N.Y., M.E. Sharpe, 1991. Revised edition, 1997. Third edition, 2004.
The Columbia Guide to the Cold War. New York: Columbia University Press, 1998.
The Columbia Guide to Hiroshima and the Bomb. New York: Columbia University Press, 2007
A Brief History of Russia. New York: Facts on File, 2008