Santander Universities Scholarship
*** The Santander application cycle focusing on summer and fall practicums will be accepted January 13, 2014 – February 14, 2014.***
The goal of the Santander Universities Scholarship is to facilitate global health practicums for public health students with financial constraints. As part of the application process, U.S. applicants, including BU employees receiving tuition remission, should file FAFSA and other financial paperwork as required by the Boston University Office of Student Financial Services (OSFS). The OSFS will be consulted in determining need for students. Applicants will have the chance to submit their application once each year, and winners will be selected through a competitive process. If awarded, students will receive $4,000 to be used towards funding an international practicum. Award recipients will be notified approximately one month following the application deadline.
To be eligible, you must be a current student at BUSPH in good academic standing. Any U.S. student meeting the criteria of low-to-moderate income (LMI) according to FAFSA categories is eligible to apply. International students wishing to be considered should complete the International student sections of the online application form in order to describe sources of educational funding. The practicum must include a minimum of six weeks in an international location (generally not Latin America). For 2013-2014 awards, students must plan to begin the practicum by October 15, 2014. Please note that students who have already completed a practicum are not eligible for this award. Incomplete applications will not be considered, and applications submitted after the deadline will be considered for the spring application cycle.
BUSPH Practicum Process
Students need to have a practicum site identified at the time of the application submission. The award will be forfeited if the practicum has not begun by October 15 2014, or if a domestic placement is chosen instead. All standing BUSPH policies and procedures regarding practica are applicable to the placement. Awards will be disbursed to the individual students not more than 60 days in advance of the start of the practicum. Once selected, Scholars may request funds up to 90 days in advance of the start of the practicum, and funds may be disbursed up to 60 days in advance of departure. Please note that processing time for Santander checks can take up to 5 weeks.
- One page résumé/CV
- Personal Statement (maximum of 500 words): provide a succinct description of your planned practicum and its connection to your educational experience.
- BUSPH Unofficial Transcript
- Copy of email communication: Applicants should show the current status of their communication with their internationally based host organization by providing a copy of recent and relevant email communication.
- International students must complete the International Student Financial Form.
- US Citizens must submit a FAFSA application to OSFS if they have not done so already.
Applications will be judged on the following criteria:
- Quality, clarity, focus, and creativity of proposed practicum as demonstrated in personal statement
- Academic standing
- Selected practicum will strengthen or create connections between BUSPH and other organizations.
To apply, applicants must submit all application materials by completing the online application form below. For clarity, name your files as follows: lastname_CV.doc, etc.