Load an image
There are many ways you can load an image into the program.
- Pass a filename, or an array of filenames when calling the program.
kang, ['file1.fits', 'file2.fits']
- Pass an array (and optionally a header) when calling the program.
kang, array1, hdr1
- Read in a FITS file from the File menu.
- Read in an array from the File menu.
Create a spectrum of a region
- Select which region type you'd like from the region menu of the main window
- Using the left mouse button, click and drag to create the region
- Right click inside the region, and select "Display Spectrum". Your spectrum will appear in the "Spectra" tab of the plot windows
Fit Gaussians to spectra
YOU NEED TMBIDL FOR THIS! Follow steps 1 and 2 above, then:
- Right click inside the region, and select "Export to TMBIDL". Your spectrum will appear in the "Spectra" tab of the plot windows
- At the command line, type "gg, #gaussians you want to fit"
- With the left mouse button, click the left extent of the fitting region, the guess for the center of the first Gaussian, the FWHM of the first Gaussian ... (and so on for all Gaussians), then the right extent of the fitting region. In other words, progress from left to right. Your Gaussian fits should be displayed.
- Should you need to clear the display, type "xx". To change the range of the display, type "setx", "sety," or "setxy". To get the ranges back to normal, type "freexy." See the TMBIDL documentation for more options.