- Philosophical Inquiry and Life’s Meanings
- Aesthetic Exploration
- Historical Consciousness
General Education for an Interconnected World
The BU Hub is Boston University’s University-wide general education program that emphasizes working across disciplines to prepare for a complex and diverse world. Students can explore a variety of courses and innovative learning experiences while developing six essential capacities and fulfilling Hub requirements. Explore these six capacities, Hub learning outcomes, and how the Hub works below.
- Scientific Inquiry I
- Social Inquiry I
- Scientific Inquiry II or Social Inquiry II
- Quantitative Reasoning I
- Quantitative Reasoning II
- The Individual in Community
- Global Citizenship and Intercultural Literacy
- Ethical Reasoning
- First-Year Writing Seminar
- Writing, Research, and Inquiry
- Writing-Intensive Course
- Oral and/or Signed Communication
- Digital/Multimedia Expression
- Critical Thinking
- Research and Information Literacy
- Life Skills
What is the Hub?
How the Hub Works
Six Essential Capacities
Rather than require students to take a specific set of courses, the Hub helps them to develop six essential capacities–the knowledge, skills, and habits of mind–that will prepare them for a lifetime of learning and leading.
Capacities are Made Up of Multiple Areas
Students will take courses that fulfill these Hub areas.
The Hub Measures Learning Experiences in Units, Not Credits
- Students earn units in Hub areas to complete their general education requirements.
- Learn more about your Hub requirements.
A Course Can Carry More Than One Hub Unit
Most students will fulfill their Hub requirements in 10-12 courses. Transfer students will fulfill their Hub requirements in 4-5 courses.
What’s Different About the Hub?
- Students can take Hub courses throughout all of their years of undergraduate study; they are not expected to complete their Hub requirements early in their studies.
- Hub courses can also count toward major and minor requirements (double-dipping is expected).
- Students can fulfill one Hub unit with a Hub cocurricular experience.
- The Cross-College Challenge (XCC), the BU Hub’s signature experience, is a 4-credit course available to juniors and seniors that fulfills 4 Hub units.
- The Hub encourages students to develop Life Skills through a variety of offerings.