Terrier Cards for Affiliates

Certain nonregular staff (e.g., temporary employees, temporary agency personnel, temporary faculty and research staff not eligible for new employee benefits orientation) may need a Terrier Card for business purposes. To apply for a Terrier Card, the Dean/VP/Director of the affiliate’s department must complete and sign the Terrier Card Request form.

Detailed instructions for Charles River and Medical Campus affiliates are included with the form.

Please note that it is not necessary to complete this form for:

  • Regular full- and part-time staff who are hired through Human Resources
  • Faculty members who are scheduled to attend new employee benefits orientation (unless the faculty member needs his or her Terrier Card prior to the week he or she is scheduled for benefits orientation)

International Employees/Scholars

All nonregular employees and visiting scholars sponsored by Boston University in J-1, H-1, TN, or another immigration category will receive written confirmation of their BU ID number from the International Students and Scholars Office (ISSO). To receive a Terrier card, a copy of the ISSO letter or ISSO e-mail confirming the BU ID number must be attached to the BU Terrier Card Request Form.

All international employees receiving financial compensation from BU must to go to the ISSO within the first three (3) days of employment to complete an I-9 Employment Eligibility Verification form. The ISSO is located at 888 Commonwealth Avenue, 2nd floor. You may complete an I-9 form there at these times:

  • Tuesdays: 9:00–10:00 a.m.
  • Wednesdays: 4:00–5:00 p.m.
  • Thursdays: 1:00–2:00 p.m.

International employees will need to provide valid employment authorization. You also must bring proof of a Boston University academic appointment or a job offer letter.

All Medical Campus affiliates should contact Najma Abdulwahhab to request a UID number and coordinate the submission of appropriate Terrier Card forms.