Terms You Should Know
This is an alphabetical glossary of terms that you may encounter while browsing this website.
- Galaxy is BU’s internal database of employees, employee information, etc.
- Grievance is a complaint brought by one party to an employment contract against another party.
- Hybrid Job
- A job with responsibility for two or more unrelated functions with no specific function being dominant. For example, an employee who splits their time between the Museum Administration and TV/Radio job sub-families has a hybrid job.
- I-9 form
- I-9 Form is required of all employees to verify their U.S. citizenship or, if they are aliens, their eligibility for employment in accordance with government standards.
- Immigration and Naturalization Act of 1986
- Immigration and Naturalization Act of 1986 made it illegal to knowingly hire or recruit illegal aliens (immigrants who do not possess lawful work authorization), required employers to attest to their employees' immigration status, and granted amnesty to certain illegal aliens.
- in-network care
- In-network care is care received within the approved network as described by the health plan option covering you.
- Independent Contractor
- An Independent Contractor is an individual, sole proprietor, partnership, corporation, etc. which render services to the general public and works toward completing a task specified in its contract with the University.
- Independent Contractors
- Independent Contractors are individuals, sole proprietors, partnerships, corporations, etc. which render services to the general public and work toward completing a task specified in their contract with the University.
- Internal Equity
- Refers to pay as it relates to the pay received by other [non-union] non-faculty staff performing the same job.