Events that Affect Participation

It is important that you understand how your Flexible Benefits Plan is affected if you are divorced or separated, if you leave Boston University, take a leave of absence, or if you become totally disabled or die.

When Your Participation Ends

Your participation in the Flexible Benefits Program ends the day your employment with the University terminates. It will also end when your status as a regular employee ends or, for the flexible spending accounts, if you do not re-enroll during the annual open enrollment period.

At that time you can be reimbursed for eligible expenses that were incurred before your date of termination of employment or other termination of participation.

Taking a Leave of Absence

If you leave work for any reason for a prolonged period of time, you should always contact Human Resources to ask what effect your absence may have on your participation in this and other University-sponsored benefit plans.

  • Leave of Absence with Pay. If you are granted a leave of absence with pay, your participation in the Flexible Benefits Program will continue, provided your usual payroll deductions continue.
  • Leave of Absence without Pay. If you are granted a leave of absence without pay, you may continue your participation in the Flexible Benefits Program during your leave with limitations. Human Resources will provide you with the necessary information and forms to either continue or discontinue participation in this program during an unpaid leave of absence.

Qualified Changes in Your Family or Enrollment Status

If you have a qualified change in status (e.g., marriage, divorce, birth, adoption) during the year that affects your Flexible Benefits Program, you should notify Human Resources immediately to report the change and request the Flexible Benefits Plan Mid-Year Changes Certification Statement. Any forms must be completed and received by Human Resources within 30 calendar days of the qualified change in status.

You may also be required to provide evidence of the qualified change in status, such as a birth certificate, marriage license, or divorce decree.

Qualified changes in your family or enrollment status include:

  • Marriage
  • Birth or adoption of a child
  • Start or loss of your spouse’s employment
  • Change in employment status (for you or your spouse) from part-time to full-time or from full-time to part-time
  • Divorce
  • Death of your spouse or other dependent
  • Salary loss due to disability
  • Retirement
  • Your death
  • Unpaid leave of absence for you or your spouse
  • Termination of your employment with Boston University