Furnishings and Appliances

On-campus rooms contain a dresser, a desk, a bed, and a chair for each student, as well as curtains, mini blinds, or window shades. (Curtains are provided in Warren Towers and 575 Commonwealth Avenue) Students should bring a mattress pad, pillows, extra-long twin bed sheets (beds are 80 inches long), a bedspread, blankets, towels, a flashlight, a desk lamp, and a metal wastebasket.

In apartment-style residences, a refrigerator, a stove, a dining table, chairs, and some comfortable seating are provided. Students assigned to apartment-style residences must provide their own cooking utensils, dishes, silverware, and cleaning supplies. In apartment-style residences and rooms or suites with a bathroom, shower curtains are provided.

Students are responsible for the furniture provided for them; furniture may not be removed from any room, apartment, or common area (unless authorized and moved by BU Housing staff). Students are charged for the replacement of any furniture that is removed or damaged. The University will charge students for removal of any non-University furniture that is left in a room, apartment, or common area at the end of the year. Furniture in the common areas is for the use of students of the floor or house and cannot be moved from that common area. Any student who appropriates common-area furniture will be required to return it and may be sanctioned. If common-area furniture is found in a student’s room or apartment, the occupants of the residence will be charged accordingly.

If any furniture is damaged or missing, students should report it on their Room Condition Report and, when applicable, submit a Furniture and Appliance Request on the My Housing portal.

You can view a list of items that we recommend you bring to campus here – What to Bring.

Power strips are allowed as long as they meet the following specifications:

  • 15 amps rating
  • 14 gauge wire
  • Built-in circuit breaker
  • 1875 watt maximum power
  • UL listed

A power strip must be plugged directly into the wall outlet. One power strip should never be plugged into another power strip. Do not cover power strips with clothing, paper, rugs, or any combustible material. Appliances such as a Microfidge or a refrigerator should be plugged directly into a wall outlet and should not be plugged into a power strip.

Students may rent a MicroFridge – a combination freezer, refrigerator, and microwave oven. MicroFridges may be rented directly from Vending Services, 617-353-2375. This is the only approved microwave oven allowed in dormitory-style residences under University regulations. Vending Services staff will move your rented MicroFridge unit into your room at the start of the academic year or semester. If you move from one residence to another during the academic year, you should notify Vending Services; arrangements will then be made to move your MicroFridge to your new residence. If you move out of on-campus housing at any time during the academic year, you should contact Vending Services so arrangements can be made to remove the MicroFridge that you rented.

Students may bring stereos and television sets; however, they should also bring headphones, as there are specific quiet hours daily from 6 p.m. to 8 a.m. The expectation is that quiet is the norm in the residences at all times.

Students may not place or affix any satellite dish, antenna, or other device outside their windows, on the roof, or in any other location of any University building.