Withdrawals and Leaves of Absence

You are billed the appropriate residence and dining plan rates for the full academic year based on your residence and dining plan assignments.

If you are planning to take a leave of absence or withdraw from Boston University, you must do so at the University Service Center.

If you have been assigned to on-campus housing, be sure to carefully read and follow the instructions on the BU Housing Withdrawal Procedures form completed at the time of your leave of absence or withdrawal.

To be considered officially withdrawn from on-campus housing after you have taken a leave or withdrawn from the University, you must complete the following checkout procedures within 48 hours of the effective date of your leave of absence or withdrawal. Most importantly,

  • You must return your keys, in person, to your residence office and obtain a key receipt. (Do not give your keys to another student or a Resident Assistant to return for you.)
  • Be sure to remove all your personal belongings and leave your room/apartment in a clean and habitable condition with all the furniture that was in your residence when you first occupied it arranged as you found it.
  • You should complete a mail forwarding/change-of-address card and visit the mail room to see if you have any packages or mail.
  • After you have returned your keys discontinue use of your Terrier Card (Boston University I.D. card) to avoid additional dining plan, Convenience Points Plan, and/or Apartment Plan charges.

Residence and dining plan charges are credited in accordance with the University’s Published Schedule. Refer questions about residence and dining plan charges or credits to BU Housing.

If you lived off campus and had a dining plan or an Apartment Plan, you must contact the Terrier Card Office immediately to cancel your plan.

If you have questions about unused Convenience Points, contact the Terrier Card Office.

It is important for students who take a leave of absence to note:
There is no guarantee BU Housing will be able to provide you with on-campus housing in the current or any subsequent academic year. If you are interested in obtaining on-campus housing for the semester of your return, you must contact BU Housing to inquire about availability and request an application. Applications for housing are reviewed on an individual basis and responded to in writing.