The Housing Interests Survey for Fall 2014 incoming freshmen and transfer students is...
Specialty community residences 2014-15 information
The specialty community residence program offers a broad range of floors and houses in which students with similar interests live, study, and socialize. It provides unique living environments to students who enjoy sharing intellectual, cultural, and social affinities. Specialty community houses and floors are communities created and continued by students with the support and involvement of faculty and staff. The exploration of academic disciplines and/or special interests is encouraged. Specialty community residences cover a range of interests, from language, to medicine, to the arts.
Current students must receive approval before they can select a specialty community residence during Room Selection. Students currently assigned to a specialty community residence must apply or reapply and be approved before they can be reassigned to the residence through Same Room, Internal, or Community Room Selection. (Please note: Approval for a specialty community residence indicates only that you are eligible to select into the residence. Approval guarantees placement only if you currently reside in a specialty community residence and select your same room; it does not guarantee that spaces will be available in the residence if you select at Internal or Community Room Selection.)
Instructions for how to apply to live in a specialty community residence, as well as the Specialty Community Residence Application / Re-Application form can be found at the Specialty Community Residences website.
The deadlines for submitting Specialty Community Residence Application/Re-Application forms for use during Room Selection for the 2014-15 academic year are as follows:
|To use for…||Submit application by…||Receive approval/denial response by…|
|Same Room, Internal Selection, or Community Selection||Thursday, February 13, 2014||Friday, March 3, 2014|
Students are welcome to submit completed applications past this deadline; these applications will be reviewed at the discretion of the Residence Life staff and the sponsoring school, college, or department.
If I receive approval, what do I do next?
- Retain a copy for your records of the e-mail you received that provides approval for you to select in the specialty community residence.
- Bring a copy of the e-mail to your Internal and/or Community Room Selection appointment.
- You must apply or reapply; review How do I apply to live in a specialty community residence for the 2014-15 academic year? for instructions.
- Submit your Housing Reservation by 5 p.m. on Friday, February 28, 2014 and indicate that you wish to select your same room.
- After you submit your specialty community residence application to the Office of Residence Life, an e-mail approving or denying your application will be sent to you; BU Housing will also be notified of the decision. If approved, you will be assigned to your same room, and you will receive confirmation of your residence choice from BU Housing in March.
What if I no longer meet the requirements of the specialty community residence?
You lose same room and internal rights to your residence. You may participate in Community Room Selection, as long as you submit your Housing Reservation by 5 p.m. on Friday, February 28, 2014.