Now you can choose your ideal roommate.
Students have the option to live in mixed-gender housing groups, if they want to. The free exchange of ideas and ability to make your own decisions extend beyond the classroom to all aspects of campus life, including University housing. So go ahead and choose who you want to live with, regardless of gender.
- No student will be required to live in a gender-neutral room, suite, or apartment.
- Students in gender-neutral housing can choose their roommates and those they share their dorms, suites, or apartments with.
- Students do not need to indicate their reasons for wanting to live in gender-neutral housing.
- Dormitory-style residences with shared community bathrooms cannot accommodate gender-neutral housing.
- Entering first-year students are not eligible for gender-neutral housing. BU Housing works with new students who do not identify with their birth gender.
- The laws of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts guide assignments for transgender students. BU Housing will work with all transgender students individually on their room assignments.
In keeping with the above, we’ve set the following parameters:
- Students selecting gender-neutral assignments agree to the rules established regarding the filling of vacancies. For more information on vacancies, check out our FAQs page.
- When creating a gender-neutral unit during the room selection, students need to fill all of the spaces within the room, suite, or apartment.
- Gender-neutral housing is not a specialty program and does not require programmatic approval.
- Due to shared common area bathrooms, rooms in Claflin, Rich, and Sleeper Halls; the Warren Towers complex; and The Towers cannot have gender-neutral rooms.
- Rooms within Specialty Communities and Living-Learning Communities (except Global House) are not eligible to be gender-neutral.
How to Participate
If you want to live in gender-neutral rooms, suites, and apartments, you can indicate selection in your Continuing Student Housing Application. During room selection you have the following options:
- Same Room Pull-In: Want to stay where you are? Pull in other students from your mixed-gender roommate group to the room you currently occupy. For more information, read our room selection overview.
- Gender-Neutral Community Room Selection: Looking to create a gender-neutral living space somewhere else on campus? Once the Same Room Pull-In period ends, you and your roommate group can choose from a select number of bed spaces across campus area, room size, room type, and price range. For more information, read our room selection overview.
If you want to change rooms or if there is a vacancy in a gender-neutral unit, there are options to fill the unit. For more information, see the gender-neutral housing room change overview.
Check out our Gender-Neutral Housing FAQs.