All of the 2015 Move-In times and information can be found on...
Roommate Choice: Gender-Neutral Housing
BU Housing has added a gender-neutral housing option for upperclass students beginning in fall 2013. We are committed to enhancing Boston University’s positive and empowering community and are cognizant that it is prudent to take a thoughtful approach while implementing gender-neutral housing options.
All residences are eligible for gender-neutral housing with the exception of Claflin, Rich and Sleeper Halls; the Warren Towers complex; The Towers; and Myles Annex. Freshmen are not eligible to live in gender-neutral housing, regardless of residence location. Suites and rooms within specialty residences are not eligible to be gender-neutral.
Why Gender-Neutral Housing?
Gender-neutral housing provides students increased choice in selecting roommates. It provides students maximum responsibility for their own room assignments and is consistent with the Boston University’s commitment to learning through students’ active decision making and engagement in the learning environment. It is the intent of a gender-neutral housing program to contribute to a campus climate that is supportive of all students.
Based upon research, community norms and direct observations, the following principles guide the gender-neutral housing process.
- No student will be required to live in a gender-neutral room, suite, or apartment without the student’s consent.
- Gender-neutral assignments will not be made or permitted in large, dormitory-style residences with shared community bathrooms.
- Students in gender-neutral housing may select their roommates and those with whom they share suites and apartments.
- Students do not have to express their reasons for wanting to live in gender-neutral housing.
- Entering freshmen students are not eligible to participate in gender-neutral housing.
- The laws of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts guide assignments for transgender students.
Given the above principles, the following parameters have been established to successfully implement gender-neutral housing:
- Claflin, Rich and Sleeper Halls; the Warren Towers complex; The Towers; and Myles Annex are specifically excluded from having gender-neutral rooms.
- When selecting a gender-neutral unit during the room selection process, students must fill all of the spaces within the room, suite, or apartment.
- Students selecting gender-neutral assignments agree to the rules established regarding the filling of vacancies.
- Gender-neutral housing is not a specialty program requiring programmatic participation or approval.
- Rooms within specialty communities will not be included during the initial implementation of gender-neutral housing.
How to live in Gender-Neutral Housing
Rooms can become gender-neutral rooms through the posted direct swap and pull-in processes as well as indicating information on a room change request form. As freshmen are not eligible to live in gender-neutral housing, they cannot perform direct swaps to rooms that create or fill vacancies in gender-neutral rooms. For more information on this – Click Here.
For more information on Roommate Choice: Gender-Neutral Housing and Room Selection – Click Here.
To view the FAQs about Gender-Neutral Housing – Click Here.