Room change requests

Room changes are offered during designated periods during the fall and spring semesters to all students, and during the summer to continuing students only who participate in the spring room selection process.

The Room Change Request Form may be accessed in the My Housing Portal.

Fall 2015 & Spring 2016

Fall 2015 Spring 2016
Room change forms available Wednesday, August 26, 2015 Thursday, December 10, 2015
Room change period begins Monday, September 21, 2015 Monday, January 25, 2016
Room change period ends Thursday, December 3, 2015* Thursday, February 11, 2016*

*The last days room changes will be offered and approved. Students must complete their moves and return the key(s) to their old assignments no later than noon on Monday, February 15, 2016, for the Spring 2016 semester.

Students wishing to be considered for a room change during the spring semester must complete a Room Change Request Form online available December 10, 2015.

The criteria used to determine room changes are as follows:
1. Class year (seniors first, then juniors, then sophomores).
2. Date request is received by BU Housing.
3. Room change interests.

General information

If you are initiating your room change request for a medical reason, you must send a current statement from your physician to BU Housing, 25 Buick Street, Boston, MA 02215, or fax it to 617-353-5136. The statement should include your full name, BU ID number, and an explanation of your medical condition and housing needs. The letter should specify that you are requesting a room change.

Roommate requests must be mutual. Each student seeking a room change must submit a room change request. Each student must include the BU ID number(s) of the roommate(s) they request. If one student makes a roommate request and the other student does not, the roommate request will not be honored.

If you are interested in a room change into a specialty community residence, you must first apply and receive approval to live in that specific residence before you will be offered a room change. If you have not yet applied, download a Specialty Community Residence Application/Re-Application form. After you submit your application. an e-mail approving or declining your application will be sent to you; BU Housing will also be notified of the decision.

If your request for a room change can be granted, you will be notified by telephone or e-mail at the telephone number or e-mail address you provide on your Room Change Request Form. We will attempt to reach you on two different days before cancelling the offer; once the offer is extended, you will have 24 hours to respond. BU Housing is not responsible for messages left on answering machines or voice mail systems that are not relayed or received, or for cancelling an offer if you do not respond in the time allotted. You will only be contacted if an option for new assignment becomes available for you.

Because of variable residence rates, the residence rate for a new assignment offered may be more expensive than for your present assignment. You are responsible for payment of the higher rate for the new accommodation as stated in your Residence License Agreement and detailed in the academic year residence and dining plan rate schedule.

Room changes between dormitory-style and apartment-style residences will result in changes in dining plan status. Students assigned to a dormitory-style residence are required to be on a dining plan. Students who change from a dormitory-style to an apartment-style residence will be removed from their dining plan and should contact the Terrier Card Office if they wish to remain on a dining plan.

All room change requests are subject to availability of space.