Ian R. Carter
Global Operations and Development
Ian Carter is President, Global Operations and Development for Hilton Worldwide. Mr. Carter was appointed President of Global Operations in 2008 and acquired responsibilities for Global Development for the company in 2010. Prior to his post, he was Chief Executive Officer of Hilton International, a position he held since 2005.
Prior to joining the company, Mr. Carter served as Officer and President of Black & Decker Corporation, Middle East, Africa and Asia. In this role, he was responsible for all operations outside of the Americas. Prior to Black & Decker, Mr. Carter spent more than a decade with General Electric Plastics, ultimately serving as President of General Electric Specialty Chemical.
Mr. Carter serves on multiple boards and organizations including:
- Hilton in the Community Foundation – Chairman of the grant-making organization, which fundraises throughout Hilton Worldwide properties in Europe to support disadvantaged children and young people.
- Board of Burberry Group plc – Non-Executive Director of the FTSE 100 British luxury fashion house, which manufactures clothing, fragrance and fashion accessories.
- International Tourism Partnership – Chairman of the membership organization of leading companies from the travel and tourism industry.
- International Business Leaders Forum – Board Member of the independent, not-for-profit organization working with business leaders and their companies to develop and manage sustainable development programs worldwide.
- California Travel and Tourism Commission – Commissioner of the non-profit organization with a mission to develop and maintain marketing programs – in partnership with the state’s travel industry.
- Boston University School of Hospitality Administration – Member of the Board of Advisors.
Mr. Carter is a graduate of the University of West London, School of Business and Management, and received an honorary doctorate from the University for his industry accomplishments and ongoing support of the development of future hospitality leaders.