SHA Graduation Information
SHA Convocation Ceremony
Saturday, May 19, 2018
Metcalf Hall in the George Sherman Union
Congratulations on your upcoming graduation! To be sure that you’re ready, thoroughly read the following information about the SHA convocation ceremony.
Information about Commencement on May 20 at Nickerson Field can be found on the Commencement website.
What do you need to do as an upcoming graduate?
1: Read the Commencement Coordinator Memo
PDF Version Available Here
Dear School of Hospitality Degree Candidate:
The School of Hospitality Administration Diploma Convocation will be held on Saturday, May 19, 2018 at 10:00 a.m. in METCALF HALL at the George Sherman Union, 775 Commonwealth Avenue. You will receive your diploma at this ceremony.
The Boston University Commencement will be held on Sunday, May 20th at 1:00 pm on Nickerson Field, rain or shine and will last about two hours. This is an All-University function at which President Brown confers degree on all University graduates.
You are cordially invited to attend and participate in both ceremonies. If you decide to participate in either ceremony, you will be required to wear a cap and gown (http://colleges.herffjones.com/college/bu/).
(*Please try on your cap and gown to make sure everything fits and your tassel is included. We will not have any extra caps, tassels or gowns at Metcalf)
For planning purposes, we would like to know if you will be attending the SHA convocation ceremony at METCALF HALL. Please submit your guest RSVP count on the form in Step 3 by April 11th.
If you have any questions or require more information, please contact us by telephone at 617-353-3261 or e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Meg Andrews, Undergraduate Commencement Coordinator
2: Update Your Graduation Information on the Student Link
Students who are graduating should access the student link to update their graduation ceremony information.
To access the update functions:
- Log-on to the Student Link
- Select the “Academics” tab
- Select the “Diploma and Graduation Information” option
Please update the following information NO LATER THAN APRIL 11:
- Whether you are attending the May ceremonies
- Please note: You must submit you and your guests RSVP count on the form in Step 3 by April 11th.
- If you are not attending the May ceremonies, please indicate whether you are picking up your diploma or the address to which you want your diploma mailed.
As a reminder, if you are completing any courses outside of Boston University, we must receive official transcripts from all outside institutions NO LATER THAN MAY 1, 2018 in order to clear you to graduate in May.
Transcripts should be sent to the attention of the School of Hospitality Administration Director of Student Services, Meg Andrews at 928 Commonwealth Avenue, Boston MA 02215. If you have any questions regarding graduation, please call the office at 353-3261.
Again, congratulations on your upcoming graduation, we wish you much success in your future endeavors.
Meg Andrews, Director, Student Services
3: RSVP for You and Your Guests By April 11th
May 2018 SHA Commencement RSVP
No tickets are required for the SHA Commencement Ceremony on Saturday, May 19, 2018. However, a proper guest count will ensure that all friends and family are accommodated for during the ceremony and following reception.
- Name*First Last
- BU ID*
- BU Email Address*
- Which semester are you graduating in 2018?*
- Spring 2018
- Summer 2018
- Fall 2018
- Are you attending/walking in the May 2018 SHA Commencement Ceremony?*
- Approximately how many guests will be joining you at the SHA Commencement Ceremony?*Please note, tickets are NOT required for the SHA Ceremony on Saturday, May 19th, but we do require an estimated number of guests that will be attending with you.
If you have questions about RSVP’ing to the ceremony, please contact Mary Callas.
4: Read the SHA Convocation Instructions for Metcalf Hall
PDF Version Available Here
SHA CONVOCATION INSTRUCTIONS – Please read carefully.
The instructions that follow will ensure that the convocation ceremony proceeds smoothly.
- The School of Hospitality Administration Convocation will be held in Metcalf Hall at the George Sherman Union – 775 Commonwealth Avenue, 2nd floor.
- The ceremony will begin promptly at 10:00am. Graduates must assemble in the GSU Conference Auditorium (next to Metcalf Hall) by 9:15qm. There will be assistants on hand to direct you to the proper location.
- Inform your family and guests to immediately take their seats in Metcalf Hall upon arrival to the George Sherman Union.
- VERY IMPORTANT: In the GSU Conference Auditorium you will immediately pick up your blue NAME CARD at the check-in table located in the Conference Auditorium. Please hold on to this important card as the number in the upper right corner will assist you when you line up for the procession. Also, you will give the blue card to a SHA professor to announce your name on stage when you receive your diploma from the dean. Please proofread the card to be sure that your name is printed the way that you want it stated as you cross the stage. DO NOT LOSE YOUR CARD.
- Once you have your numbered name card, please take a seat in the auditorium that is labeled with the same number that is written on your card. You must be seated in the Conference Auditorium by 9:40 am.
- At 9:55 a.m. the Pomp and Circumstance processional music will begin in Metcalf Hall. You will be led by marshals from the GSU Conference Auditorium to the seats designated for graduates in front of the stage inside Metcalf Hall. When all of the graduates have reached a chair, Dean Upneja will step to the podium and ask everyone to be seated. Please remain standing until Dean Upneja asks you to sit.
- The diploma ceremony will begin after the introductory remarks, speeches, and award presentations. The Dean and faculty members will present each degree.
- A marshal will stand at each row to indicate when you should begin walking to the stage to receive your diploma. It is very important for you to have your blue name card with you at this time. You will be lead to the left side of the stage to walk up the stairs, give your blue card to the SHA professor, and begin walking across the stage to receive your diploma from the dean at center stage. Please wait at the stairs until you are told to begin your walk up to the SHA professor. TO ALL DEGREE CANDIDATES: After you receive your diploma, return to the row of seats indicated by the marshal and be seated. Please remain seated until the ceremony is over. There will be a recessional and all graduates are expected to exit together.
- During the ceremony you will be handed your diploma inside a red diploma envelope. If you do not have a diploma it could be for one of a number of reasons. Talk with Meg Andrews (email@example.com), SHA’s Director of Student Services, about your academic standing.
- DISABLED STUDENTS OR GUESTS: If special seating is needed for the diploma convocation, please call 617/353-3261 a week in advance of the ceremony for assistance. For questions concerning special seating for the morning ceremony at Nickerson Field on Sunday, call Disability Services at 617/353-3658.
- PHOTOGRAPHS: Please inform your guests that photographs are NOT allowed to be taken at the platform or in the aisles during the ceremony. The School of Hospitality Administration will use the services of Commencement Photos, Inc. They will take a photograph of each degree recipient as they receive their diploma from the dean. You will receive information from them shortly after the ceremony.
- BU PRODUCTIONS: A copy of SHA’s ceremony video will be available for purchase through the Commencement website at a price of $25 per DVD. See Commencement website for details.
RECESSIONAL INSTRUCTIONS: When Dean Upneja makes his concluding remarks, the Pomp and Circumstance music will indicate that the recessional is about to begin. Please stand but remain at your chair in the graduate seating area until Dean Upneja has led the ceremony participants off stage and down the center aisle of the guest seating area. Marshals will direct graduates to follow. The ceremony will then be officially over and our reception will begin immediately in the Ziskind Lounge. The reception will end by 1:30 p.m.
5: Join us for the Dean's Reception After the Ceremony
To help celebrate the joy of the event, Dean Upneja will be hosting a graduation reception immediately following our convocation ceremony. All SHA graduates, family, and friends are welcome to attend.
Boston University School of Hospitality Administration Reception
775 Commonwealth Avenue, 2nd floor
Saturday, May 19th
To assure accommodations for your guests, please submit your guest RSVP count on the form in Step 3 by April 11th.
We look forward to seeing you and your guests at this reception.