At SHA, you can create a valuable career niche for yourself by earning a minor through any school or program at Boston University. For example, you might choose a minor in film & television from the College of Communication or business administration from the School of Management. Or, to prepare for work in international hotel management or tourism, you could minor in a foreign language from the College of Arts & Sciences.
Of course, your minor doesn’t have to relate to your career in hospitality. Pursue your passion for the violin or dance. Study ancient Greek history. Explore your interest in psychology.
A minor concentration typically consists of a sequence of five or six courses within a single department or field. Make an appointment with your faculty advisor or the Director of Student Services to discuss the most advantageous path for you.
To declare a minor, you must complete an official Minor Declaration Form and submit it to our Student Services Office at 928 Commonwealth Avenue, Room 307. Your minor will not be officially declared until your form has been processed. Call 617-353-3261 to schedule an appointment..
Hospitality Administration Minor
Minor in hospitality administration
Nearly all BU undergraduate students outside the School of Hospitality Administration can pursue a hospitality administration minor consisting of 26 credits. This includes the following courses:
- HF 100 Introduction to Hospitality Administration (4 cr)
- HF 200 Hospitality Management for SMG Minors (2 cr) For SMG students only
- HF 220 Food & Beverage Management (4 cr)
- HF 231 Human Resources Management for the Hospitality Industry (4 cr) Students who have taken OB 221 are exempt from taking HF 231
- HF 270 Lodging Operations and Technology (4 cr)
- HF 310 Managerial Accounting for the Hospitality Industry (4 cr) Prerequisite courses: MA 120 and HF 210 or SMG AC 221 or equivalent. SMG students should also take SHA HF 220 and SHA HF 270.
- HF 370 Revenue Management (2 cr) Prerequisite course: HF 270
- HF 460 Hospitality Strategic Marketing (4 cr) Prerequisite course: HF 260 or SMG MK 323 or equivalent
A minimum grade of C is required in all courses that fulfill the hospitality administration minor.
Sample Hospitality Minor Schedule for SMG Students
|SHA HF200 HOSPITALITY MANAGEMENT FOR SMG STUDENTS|
|SHA HF220 FOOD & BEVERAGE MANAGEMENT||SHA HF270 LODGING OPERATIONS & TECHNOLOGY|
|SHA HF310 MANAGERIAL ACCOUNTING FOR THE HOSPITALITY INDUSTRY||SHA HF370 REVENUE MANAGEMENT & TECHNOLOGY|
|SHA HF460 HOSPITALITY STRATEGIC MARKETING|
Minors Available from Other Schools and Colleges
Minors are available for SHA undergraduate students in other schools and colleges. Students must declare their minor with the Director of Student Services/Advising in SHA. For additional information, please contact the Academic Advising office at 928 Commonwealth Avenue, Room 307; 617-353-0930.
The School of Management offers a Business Administration minor consisting of 24 credits. This minor is available to all SHA undergraduate students. Required courses include:
- SMG SM 131 Business, Society, and Ethics (4 cr.)
- FE 101 Introduction to Finance (2 cr.)
- OB 221 The Dynamics of Leading Organizations (4 cr.) Prerequisite courses: SMG FE101 or SMG SM 299 or SMG SM 121/122; sophomore standing.
- OB 448 Negotiations (4 cr.) Prerequisite course: OB 221
- LA 360 Real Estate Law (4 cr.) Prerequisite course: SMG LA 245
- IM 345 International Management Environment (4 cr.) Prerequisite courses: CASEC101 & CASEC102; junior standing
- SM 221 Probabilistic and Statistical Decision Making for Management (4 cr.) Prerequisite courses: SMG SM131 or SMG SM121/122 or SMG SM299; CAS MA121 or MA123 previous or concurrent
A minimum grade of C is required in all courses. For additional information, please contact the Academic Advising office at 928 Commonwealth Avenue, Room 307; 617-353-0930.