Undergraduate Curriculum

Are you ready to be challenged and inspired? To gain a breadth as well as depth of knowledge? Our four-year, full-time bachelor’s degree programs are designed for all of the above. Students can choose from two majors: Hospitality Administration or Hospitality and Communication.

Take a moment to explore the wide range of courses available to you at SHA. Specialization courses introduce you to the hospitality industry, while distribution courses give you an edge in critical skills like writing, research, and analysis. SHA elective courses let you explore everything the field has to offer, from fine wines to destination marketing. And remember: you can also pursue other interests by choosing elective courses from BU’s other prestigious schools and colleges.

Design your education program

Here’s another advantage of attending a renowned liberal arts university. To boost your career prospects or simply explore other interests, undergraduate students can earn a dual degree or choose a hospitality concentration or minor in any other school or college at BU. Or you might apply to our 4+1 program, which allows you to earn a master’s degree in gastronomy in as few as two additional semesters.

Minors for SHA Students

At SHA, you can create a valuable career niche for yourself by earning a minor through any school or program at Boston University. For example, you might choose a minor in film & television from the College of Communication or business administration from the Questrom School of Business. Or, to prepare for work in international hotel management or tourism, you could minor in a foreign language from the College of Arts & Sciences.

Of course, your minor doesn’t have to relate to your career in hospitality. Pursue your passion for the violin or dance. Study ancient Greek history. Explore your interest in psychology.

A minor concentration typically consists of a sequence of five or six courses within a single department or field. Make an appointment with the Director of Student Services to discuss the most advantageous path for you.

To declare a minor, you must complete an official Minor Declaration Form and submit it to our Student Services Office in the Dean’s Suite on 928 Commonwealth Avenue, 3rd Floor. Your minor will not be officially declared until your form has been processed. Call 617-353-3261 to schedule an appointment.

Hospitality Minors for other BU Students

Hospitality Administration Minor

Nearly all BU undergraduate students outside the School of Hospitality Administration can pursue a minor in hospitality administration.

Minors Available from Other School’s and Colleges

Minors are available for SHA undergraduate students in other schools and colleges. Students must declare their minor with the Director of Student Services/Advising in SHA. For additional information, please contact the Academic Advising office at 928 Commonwealth Avenue, Room 307; 617-353-0930.

The Questrom School of Business offers a Business Administration minor consisting of 22 credits. This minor is available to all SHA undergraduate students. Required courses include:

A minimum grade of C is required in all courses. For additional information, please contact the Academic Advising office at 928 Commonwealth Avenue, Room 305; 617-353-0930.

The Dual Degree Program

Graduating from Boston University with more than one degree not only enhances your credentials, it can give you a career-launching advantage in a specialized area of the hospitality industry. A second degree in business, finance, law, marketing, or energy and environmental studies, could give you an edge over other job applicants.

Check out our Dual Degree Program (DDP), which allows you to graduate with diplomas from two BU schools or colleges at the same time. You can apply after your first year at SHA, but no later than the middle of junior year. You’ll need to earn at least 144 credits in 36 courses (some programs require more) with a minimum grade point average of 3.0.

DDP Requirements

  • 3.0 cumulative GPA
  • A minimum of 36 courses (144 credits, only 8 summer courses can be counted), three semesters in residency, and good academic standing
  • Approval from both colleges involved
  • A well-thought-out, two-page statement of intent