Article XIII – Committees of the Faculty Council
There shall be an Executive Committee of the Faculty Council composed of three officers of the Faculty Council, the immediate past Chair of the Faculty Council, and the chairs of all standing committees. The Executive Committee shall establish the agenda for the Faculty Council meetings, advise the Chair on the appointment of committees, advise and make recommendations to the Faculty Council on matters brought to its attention, and act, if necessary for the Faculty Council when the Faculty Council is not in session, reporting all actions taken to the next regularly scheduled Faculty Council meeting. The Executive Committee shall also be responsible for designating alternates for the chairs of standing committees from among the members of the respective committees.
There shall be a Nominating Committee consisting of five Assembly members elected in a special fall election by confidential electronic or written ballot. The term of the Nominating Committee shall be subject to the by-laws and members of the Nominating Committee shall not succeed themselves. The chair of the Nominating Committee shall be elected from among themselves by the members of the committee at its first meeting.
The Nominating Committee shall present nominations for offices of the Faculty Council pursuant to Article VIII, Section 2, for chairs and members of the standing committees, as appropriate, for members of the succeeding Nominating Committee, and for other positions as requested by the Faculty Council. At least two nominees shall be presented for each position of officer and committee chair.
- Standing Committees shall be established by the Faculty Council for areas of faculty concern and responsibility such as academic policy, curriculum, research, faculty status and student life. Standing committees shall review University policies, standards and procedures and shall report and recommend action to the Faculty Council, as appropriate.
- The Faculty Council shall determine the size of each committee, its membership, the term of office of each of its members and the charge of the committee. Each standing committee shall have at least three members plus a chair. From time to time the charge of a standing committee may be revised as appropriate.
- The chair of each standing committee shall be a representative or officer of the Faculty Council at the time of election to the position except as determined by the Council upon recommendation by the Nominating Committee; all chairs of standing committees must be members of the Faculty Assembly with full voting privileges at the time of election to the position, but may not hold an appointment as a visiting, adjunct or emeritus faculty member. The term of the chairs of the standing committees shall be subject to the by-laws. The chair of each standing committee shall be elected by the Faculty Council according to procedures specified in the by-laws. If the term as representative has expired for a chair of a standing committee, that person shall retain voting membership on the Faculty Council by virtue of the position as committee chair.
- Members of each standing committee must be members of the Faculty Assembly. Committee members shall be elected by the Faculty Council for a term of one or two years. If a member of the Faculty Assembly is not a representative or officer of the Faculty Council at the time of election to the position of chair of a standing committee, he or she shall become a member of the Council, ex officio, while he or she holds the position.
- Each standing committee may appoint subcommittees as appropriate. The chair and at least the majority of members of a subcommittee shall be members of the University faculty, but without regard to Faculty Assembly membership. The remaining members may be students, alumni, or members of the University administration without faculty appointments.
- Each standing committee shall be reviewed by the Executive Committee at timely intervals with respect to its charge, performance and the need for continuance. The committee may be terminated, or its charge modified, by the Faculty Council after such a review.
The Faculty Council may establish such temporary ad hoc committees or task forces as it may deem appropriate and may, by resolution, determine the charge, chair, membership and term of any such committee.