Health & Medicine
In order to make sure you are well informed about vaccination requirements and health and dietary considerations, refer to the resources listed below and follow up with a travel medicine provider well before traveling.
You are strongly advised to verify your health care coverage prior to travel. Check with your health care insurance provider to ensure that pre-travel vaccinations and overseas medical care are covered and to receive advice on health care abroad. Please refer to the Insurance section for more information.
Boston Medical Center Travel Clinic
The Travel Clinic at Boston Medical Center provides both pre- and post-travel medical services, including:
- vaccinations for adults, children, and families
- itinerary-specific consultations and immunizations
- advice and counseling on disease prevention, diagnosis, and/or treatment
- vector-borne diseases—malaria, dengue fever, chikungunya virus infection
- tropical diseases—malaria, traveler’s diarrhea
- parasitic infections—strongyloidiasis, schistosomiasis, filariasis, onchocerciasis, leishmaniasis
- rare bacterial infections—leptospirosis, brucellosis
- advice on special issues such as medical care abroad, altitude sickness, and jet lag
Please be sure to make an appointment 4 or more weeks in advance of travel through the Travel Clinic’s hotline: 617-414-VACC (8222). Last-minute travel can be accommodated in many instances.
Student Health Services can provide a list of additional sites offering travel services in the Boston area.
For group travel, consult with your trip organizer in case your group already has a travel medicine appointment. If not, all participants should schedule an appointment at BMC or another travel clinic at least one month before departure.
Post-Exposure Prophylaxis (PEP)
For students, faculty, or staff doing international research or educational experiences that involve patient contact or contact with blood borne pathogens, please refer to the following guidelines.
- required and recommended vaccinations and other health precautions
- information on common diseases and other health issues
- information about infectious diseases abroad
- information about travel medicine providers in other locations