Respond to Events and Emergencies
If you need emergency or other travel assistance while abroad, follow these steps:
1Meet the immediate needs of participants
- Identify specific threats or dangers.
- Determine immediate steps that can be taken to help reduce the harm, danger, or threat level.
- Evaluate whether they are safer remaining in their present location(s) or where they should go if relocation is necessary.
3Contact all program participants
- Confirm all are safe and accounted for within one hour or as soon as possible.
- Determine and record their present locations.
- Instruct them to follow the program’s emergency plans, specifically where to go/not go and what they should do/not do.
- For both emergency and non-emergency help.
- Use ACE (faculty and staff) or HTH or OnCall (students).
5Notify designated program contact
- Inform on-site and/or Boston contact of the nature of the crisis, your location, the location of students and staff members, and all relevant details.
- If you cannot reach your designated contact within fifteen minutes, call their designated backup person.
- If you cannot locate either person, please call Global Programs’ emergency phone at
- Continuously throughout the crisis and regularly in the following hours and days regarding the condition, safety, and location of all personnel.
- Pass along new information as it becomes available or as conditions change.
- Include specific dates, times, actions taken, and other relevant details, beginning with your first notice of the crisis and continuing through its resolution.
- Include copies of all emails.
- Submit to your department and Global Programs.
- Include a description of the event.
- Include a summary of information from the Incident Logs.
- Include a record of communications:
- Interviews with those involved
- Reports from authorities
- Situational analysis
- Recommendations for future actions
Emergency Travel Assistance Access
- 866-525-1956 (direct) or
- 603-328-1956 (international collect)
- Group #711110
ACE Executive Assistance
- 800-766-8206 (direct)
- 202-659-7777 (international collect)
- Plan #01 SP 585; Policy #PHFD 36915213
- Contact your program director.
- Contact your program’s own emergency travel assistance provider or travel agency.