Global Programs follows trends and innovations in the field of international education, and serves as a resource to faculty and administrators to think about, develop, and manage their own global projects. Please let us know if you have a specific interest and we can do our best to find information for you.
Inspiration on Internalization
ACE’s Center for Internationalization and Global Engagement provides in-depth analysis of critical international education issues and administers programs and services to support higher education institutions’ internationalization and global engagement strategies. Online resources include a model for comprehensive internationalization and an Internationalization Toolkit.
Comprehensive Internationalization: From Concept to Action [NAFSA, 2011], written by John K. Hudzik, former vice president for global and strategic projects at Michigan State University and former president of NAFSA, offers presidents, provosts, deans, and international education professionals in both student services and academic disciplines fodder for thoughtful consideration of the challenges and potential pathways toward comprehensive internationalization. It is insightful reading for both “new hands” and “old hands” to the processes of internationalization.
Leading Comprehensive Internationalization: Strategies and Tactics for Action [NAFSA, 2012] presents a flexible leadership framework for the what, why, and how of both strategy and action for comprehensive internationalization. This complement to Comprehensive Internationalization: From Concept to Action provides useful guidelines, illustrated with examples from a variety of institutions.
Open Doors [Institute of International Education] is supported by a grant from the Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs at the US Department of State. It serves as a comprehensive information resource on international students and scholars studying or teaching at higher education institutions in the United States, and US students studying abroad for academic credit at their home colleges or universities.
Mapping Internationalization on US Campuses [American Council on Education (ACE), 2012] assesses the current state of internationalization at American higher education institutions, analyzes progress and trends over time, and identifies future priorities. This report is the only comprehensive source of data on internationalization in US higher education institutions from all sectors and includes two- and four-year, public and private, degree-granting institutions.
Journals and Other Research-based Publications
NAFSA has collected a list of research-based publications on international education, including:
- Association of Departments of Foreign Language (ADFL) Bulletin
- Comparative Education Review
- Foreign Language Annals
- Frontiers: The Interdisciplinary Journal of Study Abroad
- International Educator
- International Journal for the Scholarship of Teaching & Learning
- The Journal of Global Initiatives: Policy, Pedagogy, Perspective
- Journal of International Students (JIS)
- Journal of Studies in International Education
- The Modern Language Journal (1999 to present)
- The Modern Language Journal (1916 to 2013)
In addition to the operational information, best practices, key guidelines, policies, planning tools, templates included in the Manage section, the National Association of College and University Business Officers (NACUBO) offers an International Resource Center with additional operations-focused information.
- American Council on Education (ACE) – Leadership and Advocacy
- Association of International Education Administrators (AIEA) – Leaders in International Education
- NAFSA – Association of International Educators
- Forum on Education Abroad – Experts on quality standards and other issues around study abroad programs