Santander Universities Latin America Scholarship
*** The Santander application cycle focusing on spring practicums will be accepted October 20, 2014 – November 7, 2014.***
*** The Santander application cycle focusing on summer and fall practicums will be accepted January 12, 2015 – February 17, 2015.***
Each year, the Santander Universities Scholars Program will select a total of ten students as Santander Universities Latin America Scholars. Applicants will have the chance to submit their application twice each year, and winners will be selected through a competitive process. If awarded, students are expected to receive $2,500 to be used towards funding a practicum in Latin America. Award recipients will be notified approximately one month following the application deadline. The total number of Santander University Latin America Scholarships offered is expected to be 10.
To be eligible, you must be a current student at BUSPH in good academic standing. Applicants must demonstrate a planned practicum with an organization in Latin America. The practicum must include a minimum of six weeks in Latin America. For 2014-2015 awards intended for spring practicums, students must plan to begin the practicum during the spring semester. For 2015 awards intended for summer or fall practicums, students must plan to begin the practicum by October 15, 2015. Please note that students who have already completed a practicum are not eligible for this award. Incomplete applications or applications submitted after the deadline will not be considered.
BUSPH Practicum Process
Students must have a practicum site identified at the time of the application submission in order to be considered. All standing BUSPH policies and procedures regarding practica are applicable to the placement. Once selected, Latin America Scholars may request funds up to 90 days in advance of the start of the practicum, and funds may be disbursed up to 60 days in advance of departure. Please note that processing time for Santander checks can take up to 5 weeks.
- One page résumé/CV
- Personal Statement (maximum of 500 words): provide a succinct description of your planned practicum and its connection to your educational experience.
- BUSPH Unofficial Transcript
- Copy of email communication: Applicants should show the current status of their communication with their internationally based host organization by providing a copy of recent and relevant email communication.
Applications will be judged on the following criteria:
- Quality, clarity, focus, and creativity of proposed practicum as demonstrated in personal statement
- Academic standing
- Selected practicum will strengthen or create connections between BUSPH and other organizations.
To apply, applicants must submit all application materials by completing the online application form below. For clarity, name your files as follows: lastname_CV.doc, etc.