Step by Step Overview
Semester before starting the CE:
1) Read the CE Guidelines. This document will give you an overview of the requirements and deadlines. Each CE Option has specific deadlines and forms for which you are responsible. You have the option to follow the CE guidelines from the year you matriculated or for the current year.
- 2014-2015 Culminating Experience Guidelines
- 2013-2014 Culminating Experience Guidelines
- 2012-2013 Culminating Experience Guidelines
3) It is important to talk with your advisor well in advance of deadlines to let them know that you intend to work on your CE with them. GH Faculty members are often traveling and have many teaching and research commitments, so it may take up to a week for you to receive a response. Please DO NOT email them for the first time the day before your paperwork is due. Start early and communicate frequently.
4) Beginning Fall 2013, students working on their CE are required to register for the CE. If you are planning to register to take the CE for 0 credits, sign up for IH950 through web-based registration. If you are planning to register to take the CE for either 1 or 2 credits, sign up for IH943. Students taking IH777 do not need to register for any additional course. To register for IH943, please complete two forms and submit them together to the SPH registrar’s office.
- A directed study proposal form with the GH faculty member supervising your CE; you both sign this form.
- An add/drop form to add the directed study to your schedule; only you need sign this form.
The forms are available for download at http://sph.bu.edu/registrar/forms.
Beginning of Semester of the CE:
1) Complete a CE Completion Contract for the semester. If you started your CE in a previous semester and wish to continue work into the next semester, you will need to re-submit your contract. Contracts ought to be signed by you and your advisor, but if your advisor is unable to sign the contract, you may forward an email indicating their willingness to work with you to the GH Academic Coordinator. Either option is fine.
You may download the appropriate Contract here:
2) Depending on your CE Option, complete either a Problem Purpose Statement or a Project Proposal. Examples of a PPS and Project Proposals are available here.
3) Complete the online Request to Complete CE Form. You may upload your CE Completion Contract and Problem Purpose Statement/Project Proposal at the end of the online form.
End of Semester of your CE:
1) Forward your advisor’s approval email to the Academic Coordinator, or ask them to CC me when sending it to you. If you are taking your CE for credit, be sure to check that your advisor has entered a grade for your work.
2) Update your CV/Resume.
3) Complete a CE Cover Sheet.
4) Complete the online Submission of CE Form. You may upload your completed CE with cover sheet and your CV at the end of the online form.
If you have trouble with the online forms, you can email your paperwork to Travis DiJoseph via email@example.com.
Please note: Students have up to 2 semesters to complete the CE. If you have not completed the CE by the end of the semester it is started, you must register for IH951 (a zero credit one-time CE extension) in the subsequent semester to continue working on the CE as necessary. For more information on incompletes, see the CE Process & Policies.