Sandy is a 64 year old professional woman in a long term...
Tense muscles, jitteriness, increased perspiration, and racing thoughts are just some of the symptoms of acute stress. Stress can be subtle and accumulate over time, manifesting itself in physical symptoms such as heart palpitations, stomach or headaches, and elevated blood pressure. Chronic stress can also contribute to substance abuse, deterioration in job performance, and emotional or interpersonal problems. People vary greatly in their reaction to physical or emotional life stressors. At work, morale and productivity can be reduced, accidents or mistakes may be more frequent, and job turnover and excessive absenteeism is higher.
TRUE/ FALSE STRESS QUIZ
At home I often feel:
- I am easily startled and jumpy
- I am often tense and unable to relax
- I don’t have as much energy as I used to
- I find myself drinking/eating more to relax
- I have high blood pressure, chronic back pain, or digestive problems
- I have trouble falling and staying asleep
- I rarely have fun these days
- I seem to get frequent headaches, body aches, and colds
- It is hard for me to concentrate and remember things because I am so nervous
- My interactions with people are becoming difficult because I am so stressed
- My debts are overwhelming
If you answered True to three or more of these statements, you might want to call us at 617-353-5381 to discuss your concerns and what we can do to help you.
At work I often feel:
- I do not have much control over my work and seldom make decisions about what goes on
- Extreme pressure to work very fast and very hard
- I get little feedback on how I’m doing and what I do get is mostly criticism
- I have little opportunity for learning new skills
- I’m not “part of the team” and I don’t think the organization cares about me
- I talk to my (partner, roommate) a lot about my frustrations at work
- It’s hard to juggle work and my home life—both are so demanding
- People are often complaining about management
- People in authority can be arrogant and mean to others
If you answered True to three or more of these statements, you might want to call us at 617-353-5381 to discuss whether your workplace has a problem and what you can do to help.