Celebrating Julia Child's Centenary (Evening Two)
Boston University's Culinary Arts and Gastronomy programs will celebrate the 100th anniversary of Julia Child's birth--August 15, 1912--by inviting you to enjoy a meal representing some of Julia's favorite Boston restaurants, prepared by some of her favorite chefs.
Over the course of two festive evenings--Tuesday, October 2, and Wednesday, November 7-- you will have the opportunity to experience some of the most delicious cooking in the world, presented by an array of regionally acclaimed chefs and students in BU's certificate program in the Culinary Arts. Each chef will prepare a dish with special meaning, perhaps one that Julia was known to love, one that he or she cooked alongside Julia on television; or the chef's favorite from Julia's books.
After cooking, the chefs and students will join guests for a meal paired with extraordinary wines. With luck, your table will be regaled with anecdotes of Julia .
In addition to gathering friends, the celebration will raise money for the Julia Child Scholarship Fund, which benefits students in the two BU programs Julia co-founded with Jacques Pepin--the Certificate program in Culinary Arts and the Master of Liberal Arts in Gastronomy. Julia established the scholarship fund in 1991, with a generous donation to assist students recognized for outstanding academic work in their program.
Participating chefs include:
- Jimmy Burke, JW's Burger Bar
- Chris Douglass, Ashmont Grill, Tavolo
- Mary Ann Esposito, "Ciao Italia with Mary Ann Esposito," PBS
- Ihsan Gurdal, Formaggio Kitchen
- Garrett Harker, Eastern Standard; Island Creek Oyster Bar
- Michael Leviton, Lumière; Area Four
- Frank McClelland, L'Espalier
- Raymond Ost, Sandrine's
- Jacques Pépin, Co-founder, Culinary Arts and Gastronomy Programs at BU; Television
- John Vyhnanek, Core Instructor, Culinary Arts at BU; goodcooking.com
- Jasper White, Jasper White's Summer Shack
The $300 registration fee per evening includes a $50 contribution to the Julia Child Scholarship Fund. Discounts available for parties of five or more -- please call 617-353-9852 for details.
- General Public: $300.00
Meets at Boston University: 808 Commonwealth Ave., Demonstration Room, Room 117 at 6:30 pm on Wednesday, November 07, 2012 (1 meeting)
- Wednesday, November 07, 2012