|Administrative offices at 915 Commonwealth Ave.
1. All students must be registered for
each dance course including Audits and No Credits
- Auditing : Discuss the audit policy with the instructor and request the forms required to audit. You cannot change to an audit after the first five weeks of class ! For your records, request copy of Audit Form from University Registrar. For steps to audit, click here.
- Overloading : If you are taking over
18 credits, you must get approval from the registrar in
your college to avoid additional tuition fees.
- Cross-Registering from another University: You
must get permission from the Dance Coordinator; there is
a fee required.
- Noncredit : You may be able to register
through the PE non-credit program. Speak to Micki
Taylor-Pinney or Heidi Elsinger at 3-2748 or at our 2nd
floor PERD offices at 915 Commonwealth Ave. There is a fee
2. If you add or drop the class you must
do this online. It is your responsibility
to take care of the paperwork.
If you drop a class, make sure that change is reflected on your schedule. It should be immediate. Neglecting this paperwork will result in a “MG” on your transcript. (An "MG" turns into a “W” or “F” depending on your college).
- For technique classes: form-fitting clothing required
(dance, aerobic or bike wear); supportive undergarments
recommended - sports bras for women and athletic supporters
or dance belts for men.
- No gum or dangerous jewelry.
- Ballet shoes recommended for ballet classes.
- Tap shoes recommended for all tap classes.
- Appropriate shoes for ballroom classes: click here
- Hair secured away from face.
- No street shoes allowed on the dance studio floors at
any time; leave in cubbies.
- If sneakers needed for class, a clean pair, exclusively
designated for studio use, is required.
- Find out more about our sneaker policy: click here
- Where to purchase dance clothes:
- Teddy Shoes, located in Central Square in Cambridge (on the Red Line), offers a wide variety of dance shoes and apparel. www.teddyshoes.com
- Online dance suppliers:
Procedures for getting locker, lock, and towel service are
- Locker Rentals: Permanent lockers are available to full time students and other Fitness and Recreation Center members. All lockers are issued on a first come, first serve basis. Day lockers are also available for “Daily Use Only.” Members can bring their own lock or rent one from the ProShop for $1 a day.
- Towel Services: Towel service can be
purchased at the ProShop. Upon purchase of the service,
buyer will recieve a receipt to be redeemed at the ProShop
for an initial towel. The service will operate on a strict
towel exchange system, with a clean towel being issued to
only those returning a used towel.
All grades are PASS/FAIL except for Dance Minors. Dance Minors must be registered in the X sections and will receive letter grades. Our classes are based on attendance! NO CREDIT WILL BE GIVEN IF MORE THAN 10% OF CLASSES ARE MISSED (ask instructor for specific number of absences allowed). Beyond the specified number of absences it is up to the discretion of the instructor whether to excuse an additional absence or require that the class be made up by the end of the semester. Failure to meet the attendance requirement will result in the student receiving an X, Failure, or an Incomplete. An Incomplete grade must be made up within one year. Any student who misses over 20% of the classes is advised to withdraw from the class.
6. Classes will begin promptly at the designated time. Anyone entering the class 10 minutes late will not receive credit for that day's attendance and it is up to the individual instructor whether or not a late student can take the day's class. If you need to leave early please notify the instructor before class. Repeatedly leaving class early may impact your attendance. Your instructor may choose to give you credit for observing class. As a courtesy, your instructor may ask that you contact them if you are missing classes.
1) Attend other credit Dance classes taught by your instructor; 2) attend other credit Dance classes after receiving permission from instructor; 3) attend dance performances approved by your instructor; 4) attend free End-of-Semester classes; 5) get written permission from Non-Credit Coordinator, Ramelle Adams, to attend non-credit dance class (2 business days notice; fee required)
NOTE: make-ups slips must be signed and provided to instructor or Micki Taylor-Pinney. Click here to download the make-up form.
8. Review the Multi-Use Studio Access Policies for any questions about using or renting open studio space.
9. Please feel free to ask questions and/or make appointments for consultations with your instructor or with Micki Taylor-Pinney, Dance Coordinator, at (617) 353-1597 (firstname.lastname@example.org).