Barreca Climbing Wall
Rules and Regulations
Climbing is only permitted during open wall hours with staff supervision.
Climbing is an assumed risk. Climbers must agree to all rules and regulations of the climbing facility.
- All climbers must pass a belay qualification test administered by Barreca Climbing Wall Staff prior to roped climbing.
- All climbers must display qualifier cards while participating in roped climbing.
- Climbers must tie directly into their harness, through all captured tie in points, using a Figure-eight Follow-through Knot with a Fisherman’s Hitch backup. No other methods of "tying in" are allowed.
- Locking carabiners must always be used with belay devices. Climbers must check themselves and their partner for correct gear, knots, and set-up of belay system.
- Climbers must use correct climbing commands. The brake hand must never leave the rope.
- ONLY approved Route Setters may set in the facility.
- Unsafe conduct and inappropriate behavior will not be tolerated.
- Only CE Certified equipment is allowed to be used.
- Rental equipment is available at the Pro Shop.
- Personal equipment is allowed at the discretion of the climbing wall supervisor.
- No barefoot climbing.
- Chalk balls only – no loose chalk.
- All personal items MUST be kept outside of climbing area. Cubbies are conveniently located on either side of the climbing area, and Day Lockers are located throughout the facility.
- Food, beverages, and chewing gum are not permitted in the climbing area.
- Report all accidents, loose holds or damaged equipment to Barreca Climbing Wall Staff.
- Climbers’ hands must not be above the horizontal demarcation (black dotted line.
- No topping out on the Bouldering Structure.
- No bouldering below roped climbers. Spotter(s) recommended while bouldering.
- If unsure, ask staff for safe spotting techniques.
- All children ages 12 and under must wear a helmet while climbing.
- Children 8 years of age or younger OR weighing less than 80 pounds MUST wear a full body harness; OR a chest harness used in conjunction with a sit harness.
- During regular open hours, qualified parents may belay their own children. If parents are not qualified, children may be belayed twice by Climbing Wall Staff, provided that there are no other climbers in the climbing area and supervisors are available to belay.