Fitness & Recreation Center COVID-19 Information
For university-wide information, please consult the Boston University Back2BU guide.
FitRec is open for informal recreation, and academic and PDP courses. Workout reservations are required for all recreational use. Reserve your workout time here. You may reserve time slots up to 3 days in advance. Your Terrier Card, a green badge on the Healthway app and a mask are required for all entries.
Ready for a workout? Cardio machines, weights, stretching and lap swimming are all available for your use at FitRec. All you need to do is reserve your day and time using our online system. Then, at your allotted time, come to FitRec with:
- Your BUID
- A green badge on your BU Healthway app approving you to come to campus
- A clean face mask, which must be worn at all times in the facility. Bring a clean mask to replace your workout mask when you’re done too!
- A water bottle
- Dressed to work out
- A confirmed reservation, which is required for entry
Workout reservation sessions are 90 minutes. After your workout you will exit the building so FitRec staff can sanitize the facility before the next workout session.
Please review all usage guidelines here. Please note:
- This access is currently for full-time Boston University students only.
- One reservation per day per student.
- You may reserve up to 3 days from the date of booking.
- Please only book slots that you will attend. No-shows will be tracked and may result in access limitations.
- You may line up to enter no more than 5 minute prior to your reservation, though you may arrive at any time during your session. For entry, bring with you proof of your green badge on Healthway, your BUID, a face covering, a water bottle and be dressed to work out.
- Showers, lockers (including day lockers) and cubbies are not available.
- Click here to request to cancel a reservation.
- Please call or email FitRec Member Services (617-358-3740) if you have questions.
For Physical Education (PDP) and Academic Courses Only
The Fitness and Recreation Center (FitRec) will be open for spring semester in-person physical education (PDP) and other academic courses. Only students enrolled in specified PDP or academic classes scheduled in FitRec will be permitted entry for the days and times of their class.
Before arriving at FitRec for your first PDP class: students must read and sign the FitRec User Agreement. Students will receive an email from firstname.lastname@example.org that will include a link and instructions on how to complete this task.
When coming to FitRec or another athletic facility for a PDP or academic class, all students and FitRec staff will need the following to access the facility:
- Your BUID
- A green badge on your BU Healthway app/website approving you to come to campus
- A clean face mask/covering, which must be worn at all times in the facility
Other Important Information
Informal Fitness and Recreation
Limited informal fitness and recreation activities is currently available. Access to FitRec for these activities will require reservations in advance, a process that has been specifically designed to reduce density and meet physical distancing guidelines. These activities will require strict adherence to physical distancing and disinfection protocols.
NEW: As of Monday, March 22, table tennis tables (Mondays/Wednesdays) and badminton nets (Tuesdays/Thursdays) are now available for use during the 5pm reservation time slot on Court 4 of the 4-Court Gym. All players are expected to adhere to social distancing guidelines and disinfection protocols for shared equipment provided by FitRec. Players are expected to rotate and share use of the space with others who are waiting.
NEW: As of Sunday, March 28, tennis court reservations are now available on select weekends in the Track and Tennis Center (100 Ashford Street). Please visit this page for more information.
Club Sports & Intramurals
On campus Club Sports practices may occur on a limited basis. Access to FitRec for these activities will require advanced arrangements through program advisors and is specifically designed to reduce density and meet physical distancing guidelines. Specific information about Club Sport programs is provided to the student-athletes and coaches through the club sport advisors. These activities will require strict adherence to access requirements, physical distancing and disinfection protocols.
In an effort to de-densify on campus facilities, all Intramural programming will be offered online for the spring semester. Offerings will include, but are not limited to: FIFA, Madden, NHL, NBA2K and Rocket League. Please visit our E-Sports page for more information and to sign up.
Closed Venues, Programs and Activities
Some PERD and FitRec programs, events, venues and activities will be suspended until further notice, including: The Dance Theater and FitRec rentals/events, the Sailing Pavilion, Outdoor Programs, the Climbing Wall, Youth and Family Programs, Adult Recreational Instruction (Noncredit), FitPass, Membership Programs, and Locker and Towel Service.
Facility Space, Meeting and Event Requests
Due to existing programming and occupancy limits, FitRec is currently not able to accommodate space, meeting or event requests from other external groups or University departments, schools, colleges or groups.
Contacts – for specific questions about a program or refund