Graduate Assistant Positions
The Department of Physical Education, Recreation and Dance
offers various graduate assistantships available to students
enrolled in a graduate degree program at Boston University.
Below is a list of all our graduate assistantships, as well as the anticipated position openings. Job descriptions of current openings follow.
Graduate Programs at BU
Our GAs are enrolled in a variety of graduate programs at Boston University. While every student is different, typically we attract students interested in health, fitness, physical education, physical and occupational therapy, public health, business, marketing and social work. Each college and program has its own admissions information. Here are links to some popular graduate programs. This is not a full list - if the program you are looking for isn't here, go to the BU home page and start your search there!
One position available
Start date of July 1, 2014
The Department of Physical Education, Recreation, and Dance at Boston University is currently seeking a Business Office Graduate Assistant for the 2014-15 academic year. This candidate will assist in the day to day function of the Business Office.
The position is offered to an accepted candidate in a BU graduate program and requires a work schedule of 20-25 hours per week during fall, spring and summer semesters. The award consists of up to 8 credits of tuition remission per semester and a $10,000 stipend, paid over a twelve-month period on a weekly basis. The position is renewable for a second year contingent upon the satisfactory performance of the individual during the first.
Assist Business Office team with the following duties (and others as assigned) . . .
- Providing assistance with Business Office Deposits. Areas of responsibility include but are not limited to Pro Shop, Facilities, non-credit programs, intramural and club sports.
- Providing assistance with day to day business functions including vendor invoicing, account reconciliation, travel administration, generating disbursements and purchase orders.
- Oversight of the administration of club sports as it relates to departmental and university business practices.
- Process departmental transactions, refunds and reconciliation.
- Supervision of Business Office student staff.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office suite and Excel in particular
Interested candidates should send a cover letter, resume and two current letters of recommendation to:
Assistant Business Manager
Dept. of Physical Education, Recreation & Dance
BU Fitness and Recreation Center
915 Commonwealth Avenue, Boston, MA 02215
One position available
Start date of September 1, 2014
The dance program has one opening for a two-year Graduate Assistantship for the 2014-2016 academic years. The position includes a 20-hour workweek, which lasts from September 1st to May 31st The award consists of 8 credits of tuition remission, or half-tuition, per semester and a stipend, paid over a nine month period. Additional tuition remission for 1-2 Summer Session I courses is negotiable. We are asking for a 2-year contract.
Assist Dance Office with the following duties. . .
- Assisting the Director of Dance
- Marketing dance programs
- Management of dance facilities
- Event planning, including coordinating dance concerts: 2 student (1 Fall, 1 Spring), and 1 Residency. Also assisting with the coordination of the faculty concert in early October.
- Maintain web page (Knowledge of Contribute is helpful)
- General office responsibilities include maintaining databases and handling correspondence.
- Assist in training and supervising undergraduate dance office assistants.
- Based on experience, may include teaching responsibilities.
- Other duties, as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university
- Knowledge of dance field.
- Office experience.
- Experience in Microsoft Word and Excel (required); working knowledge of Adobe InDesign and Photoshop (preferred).
- Demonstrated ability to be self-motivated, creative, imaginative, and must enjoy working in a busy office.
Any student that has been accepted to a graduate degree program at Boston University is eligible.
If interested, please send a copy of your acceptance letter, a cover letter and resume to:
Director of Dance
Department of Physical Education, Recreation and Dance
915 Commonwealth Avenue, Boston, MA 02215.
Beginning Date: January 2014
- Assist in management of fitness attendants, group exercise instructors, and personal training employees.
- Maintain regular office hours to assist with class and workshop instruction, program planning, promotion, and facility management.
- Help to develop, promote, and execute health and fitness programs and classes.
- Help to develop, promote, and execute member wellness and BU employee wellness workshops and programs.
- Assist in supervision of the Gerald Tsai Jr. Fitness Center during scheduled opening/closing and weekend shifts.
Additional potential areas of focus:
- Coach personal training clients.
- Administer comprehensive fitness evaluations for members.
- Teach group exercise classes.
- Develop and coach sports performance training groups.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university.
- Experience and course work at the university level in physical education, exercise science, physiology, Social Work, Public Health, Management, or another related area of study.
- Must be accepted into a Master’s program at Boston University.
- Strong organizational and managerial skills with a desire to lead a team of fitness employees.
Emphasis on exercise instruction, fitness program development, fitness testing, and knowledge of fitness equipment.
- Personal Training certification.
- Group Exercise Instructor certification.
Appointment Period: January 2014 – May 2014. Approximately 20 hours per week but collateral duties may apply. Second year appointment pending satisfactory performance
Stipend: $10,000.00 plus full tuition remission (8 credits/semester).
Application Procedure:Send or e-mail cover letter, resume and references to:
Michael Lagomarsine, Director of Fitness
Department of Physical Education, Recreation, & Dance
915 Commonwealth Ave.
Boston, MA 02215
telephone: (617) 353-0869
Facility Operations & Event Management
The Department of Physical Education, Recreation, and Dance is currently seeking two Facilities Graduate Assistants for the 2014-2015 academic year to learn from and contribute to the overall daily function of the Fitness and Recreation Center, its programs and events.
The position is offered to an accepted candidate in a BU graduate program and requires a work schedule of up to 25 hours per week. The award consists of 8 credits of tuition remission per semester and a $10,000 stipend, paid over a nine-month period.
Assist Facility Management team with various aspects of the following:
- Facility Supervision – opening, closing, weekend and holiday shifts
- Student Staff Development – training and supervision
- Facility Scheduling – booking special events and departmental programs, processing and filing paperwork, accepting and recording payments, maintaining event database
- Special Events – set-up, greeting and directing groups to the appropriate spaces, ensuring all events begin and end on time, clean-up and break down
- General Facility Operations – assisting staff, members, and instructors with basic facility-related needs, equipment and information
- Access control/facility security oversight
Graduate Assists will collectively cover weekday opening hours (5:45am-10am) and weekend closing hours (2:30pm-10:30pm) while also having weekly office hours. Reasonable exceptions can be made for class, internship or other conflicts.
- Ability to provide exceptional customer service
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Excellent Communication skills both written and verbal
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office
- Ability to work independently
- A team-first attitude
- Ability to multi-task and prioritize
- Experience working in campus recreation or similar setting
- Knowledge of RecTrac software
- Supervisory experience
To apply, please send a resume, cover letter and three references to Joe Rouse, Assistant Facility Manager via email at email@example.com. Application review will begin February 16