If you are asked to verify your status as a citizen or permanent resident of the United States, acceptable documentation includes one of the following:

  • Documentation indicating U.S. citizenship: U.S. birth certificate, signed U.S. passport or passport card, certificate of citizenship, naturalization, or birth abroad.
  • Permanent Resident Card: I-551 (front and back)
  • Departure Record: I-94 or CBP I-94A. Must be stamped “Processed for I-551” with expiration date or “Temporary Form I-551” with appropriate information filled in.
  • Machine Readable Immigrant Visa (MRIV), which serves as a temporary I-551.

All other eligible non-citizens (Refugees, Asylees, Parolees, and other special circumstances) must provide written documentation from the U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) that they hold a citizenship status approved for the receipt of federal financial aid. This documentation will then be matched with DHS records.

BU Financial Assistance is unable to offer need-based University scholarship or grant aid to international students.

Boston University requires international students applying for admission to present evidence of sufficient funds to cover all tuition, fees, books, and living expenses for their study at Boston University.