Fiber Optic Gyroscope Coil Winding
Fraunhofer CMI - Center for Manufacturing Innovation
- © Fraunhofer CMI.
Custom automation for rapid, precise fiber optic coil winding for gyroscopes
An example for Fraunhofer CMI's expertise in automation
While fiber optic gyroscopes (FOGs) have several advantages over ring-laser gyroscopes, the difficulty of cost-effectively winding a high performance sensing coil has kept the cost of FOGs excessively high. In order to cost-reduce the manufacture of FOGs, Fraunhofer CMI developed a high-precision, computer controlled winder for the production of navigation and strategic-grade sensing coils. With over 15 coordinated servo-controlled axes, the winder is capable of cost-effectively winding, with minimal touch-labor, strategic grade coils for long-range navigation and space applications.
A Custom Designed Machine
This machine was customized for a number of large defense contractors, including Honeywell Corporation, and builds upon a long-standing relationship between Fraunhofer CMI and the world's premier fiber-optic gyroscope manufacturers.
- Developed an automated, ultra-precision coil winder
- Cost reduced the production of fiber optic gyroscope-sensing coils
- Decreased winding time significantly while increasing quality and performance
- Included error detection and correction
- Achieved dynamic tension control within ±0.5 grams @ 60 RPM
- Achieved steady-state tension resolution of 0.05 grams
- Achieve winding speed of 30+ m/min
Video: Fiber Optic Gyroscope Coil Winding (4:50 minutes)