If you are a BU student living in a BU residence hall (not including BU rental property) and require our assistance, please follow these procedures:

First, contact your RA

Contact your Resident Assistant or the Resident Assistant who is on call that day to report the issue.

If you cannot find your RA

Contact your residence hall director or the Office of Residence Life for your area (open 9 a.m.-5 p.m. and 7 p.m.-midnight, M-F). You can find contact information in this directory of Residence Life offices.

In an emergency call 617-353-2105

If you have an emergency, meaning that without immediate service your residence would be unsuitable to live in, please call our Operations & Services Center, which is open 24/7 to assist you.

If you are a student living in a rental apartment

Call Rental Property Management to make a service request at 617-353-4101.

What constitutes an “emergency”?

Situations that jeopardize life or public safety, or that render your room, office, or classroom unlivable, such as (but not limited to):

  • Fire
  • Flood
  • Power outage
  • Roof or ceiling leak
  • Too hot/too cold indoors, and/or unusual noise or odor from heating/cooling vents
  • Toilet stopped/overflowing
  • Broken lock/lock-out
  • Broken window or door

What’s not an emergency?

Unpleasant or inconvenient situations that are not life-threatening are considered routine and will be handled during regular business hours. Routine services include (but are not limited to):

  • Repair or replacement of paint, plaster, floor coverings, or window treatments
  • Replacement of light bulbs in installed light fixtures (where public safety is not in jeopardy)
  • Repair of broken furniture
  • Requests to move furniture or equipment
  • Access to someone else’s room or office. (In fact, this is neither a routine nor an emergency service, because we can never provide access to a room or office that is not your own. You must obtain a key from the person who has promised you access.)