20 feet of lights: $15
40 ornaments, placed on the tree: $70
1 velvet tree skirt: $20
7 fake presents: $5
1 festive Castle ready for the holidays: Priceless
from Events & Conferences!
At E&C, we’re not afraid to ask for directions…or provide some direction to our event guests! As members of the BU community, we know our way around the large campus, but we realize that our visitors may not.
With a main campus that extends for over a mile and a half, Boston University can be considered a metropolis within the city…which is why a little guidance can go a long way. Too often it is easy to become preoccupied with “crucial” event details, such as the room set-up or menu, and forget about something that is equally important—directional signage!
Signs not only help visitors navigate, but can also better their overall experience. A good sign should include some, if not all, of the following:
• The organization name and/or logo for easy recognition
• The event name in a font larger than surrounding text
• An arrow to point guests in the “right” direction
• One line of written direction, such as “Take elevator to 9th Floor”
• A QR code, linked to the organization’s event page/website or a phone number to call for assistance
A mix of bold, italic and/or colors for aesthetic variety can complete the overall look, but make sure the sign is not too cluttered! Keep it simple with only essential information that is easy to decipher.
Once you’ve completed a basic template, we recommend walking the arrival path as a hypothetical guest to discover potential roadblocks that may cause confusion. Often, multiple signs are required for maximum success. Start at the designated parking lot(s) if guests will be driving. If not, begin at the building’s main entrance and proceed to the event space.
Are you proud of a directional sign you’ve made? If so, we’d love for you to share it with us. Your ideas are not “lost” on us!
“I can’t quite describe it, but…“
Too often that’s what we’re saying after we’ve been to a unique or interesting event and no one took pictures!
Photos are quintessential from a marketing perspective, but they are also extremely useful for the archives. Over time, memory fades and event set-ups can start to blend together. Maintaining a photo collection can help you relive the magic of past events and better plan for future events!
Don’t let the memory of this…
If only we had a dollar for every time a client said, “We just don’t have the budget for that…”
At E&C, we understand that sometimes you come up with a great idea, but it’s just not cost effective for your event. However, all hope is not lost!
There are many ways to make small additions for big impact at your next event:
- Adding a floral arrangement to your buffet gives it a VIP look
- Setting votive candles on your guest tables creates a warm & inviting atmosphere
- Having an event in Fall? You’d be shocked how great those miniature pumpkins are for adding a burst of color to your tables!
- Even a single flower in a tall vase can create a colorful contrast to your linens.
We’re all looking for way to help reduce that “university building” look and feel, so we’d love to hear your ideas too!