Writing Assistance Policies
Please note that by making a Writing Assistance appointment, you agree to adhere to the following policies:
- One student may sign up for an appointment; only that student may use the appointment and only that student’s work may be discussed.
- Writing Fellows will not provide assistance with take-home exams without written permission from the instructor.
- Any work submitted must be your own. If a Writing Fellow suspects a violation of Writing Assistance policies, the BU Academic Conduct Code, or the Code of Student Responsibilities, the Writing Fellow reserves the right to terminate the appointment.
Limitations on Appointment Use
- Writing Fellows DO NOT provide proofreading services.
- Traditional appointments will focus on clarity, organization, and argument rather than correcting grammar, punctuation, or typos.
- ESL Writing Skills appointments will focus on diagnosing patterns of error, teaching the principles behind the corrections, and developing self-correction strategies.
- In order to receive Writing Assistance from the ERC, you must be a student, alumni, faculty, or staff member of Boston University.
- Writing Fellows will provide assistance on a single assignment a maximum of three times.
- Each appointment should be focused on a different aspect of the writing process (for example: one appointment brainstorming for a thesis, a second appointment working on organization of ideas in a rough draft, a third appointment working on transitions in a revised draft).
- Students are permitted one appointment of each kind every six days, and a maximum of nine appointments of each kind per semester.
Cancellation, Late, and Missed Appointments
If you need to cancel an appointment, you must email firstname.lastname@example.org at least 24 hours before the scheduled start of your appointment with your name, date and time of the appointment, and the word “cancel” in the subject heading. Repeated cancellations, tardiness, and missed appointments will jeopardize your ability to schedule an ERC Writing Assistance appointment.
- Students who do not come to their scheduled appointment are marked Missed.
- Students who cancel an appointment with less than 24 hours’ notice will be marked Missed.
- Students who show up more than 15 minutes late are marked Missed; students who are late by less than 15 minutes are marked tardy.
- Students with TWO Missed appointments on record will not be able to make any additional appointments and will be removed from any future Writing Assistance appointments until they have come in to speak with ERC staff about their TutorTrac account.