Self-Identification of Disabled and Veteran Status

Boston University is committed to assuring equal opportunity in employment to persons with disabilities, disabled Veterans, Vietnam Era Veterans, other protected Veterans, and newly separated Veterans. As an employer and government contractor, Boston University is subject to the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and the Vietnam Era Veterans Readjustment Assistance Act of 1974. Under these Acts, the University is obligated to take affirmative action to employ and advance in employment qualified persons who are members of the above-named groups.

As part of its affirmative action program, Boston University invites all employees who are persons with disabilities, disabled Veterans, Veterans of the Vietnam Era, other protected Veterans, or recently separated Veterans to identify themselves as such. Persons with disabilities are also invited to request any reasonable accommodations that may allow them to perform the essential functions of their jobs. Self-identification and requests for accommodation may be made now or at any time in the future. Individuals who have submitted self-identification forms or accommodation requests in the past, and whose status has not changed, need not do so again.

You may be considered a person with a disability if you:

  • presently have a physical or mental impairment which substantially limits you in one or more major life activity; or
  • have a record of having such an impairment; or
  • are regarded as having such an impairment.

You are considered a disabled Veteran if you:

  • were discharged or released from active duty for a disability incurred or aggravated in the line of duty while serving in the United States Armed Forces at any time.

You are considered an Armed Forces service medal Veteran if:

  • while serving on active duty in the Armed Forces, you participated in a United States military operation for which an Armed Forces service medal was awarded pursuant to Executive Order 12985.

You are considered an other protected Veteran if you:

  • served on active duty during a war; or
  • served on active duty during a campaign or expedition for which a campaign badge, service medal, or expeditionary medal has been awarded. A list of military engagements included in this category may be found on the United States Office of Personnel Management website.

You are considered a recently separated Veteran if you:

  • served on active duty in the United States military, ground, naval, or air service during the three-year period beginning on the date of such veteran’s discharge or release from active duty.

Disclosure of this information is entirely voluntary. No adverse consequences will result from providing this information, or from refusing to provide it. Any information provided will be used only in a manner consistent with the Acts.

Information provided as part of this self-identification process will be kept confidential, except that where a disability is identified, in accordance with federal law, the following personnel and officials will have access to it:

  • Supervisors and other personnel who need to be informed in order to assess requests for and implement any necessary restrictions of work duties and/or necessary accommodations.
  • Proper personnel, to the extent appropriate, if the disability might require emergency treatment.
  • Government officials investigating compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act or the laws administered by the Office of Federal Contract Compliance Programs.

If you wish to identify yourself as a person with a disability, a disabled Veteran, an Armed Forces service medal Veteran, an other protected Veteran, or a recently separated Veteran, please complete the “Self-Identification of Disabled and/or Veteran Status” form, which you can find in the Forms section, of this website. If you are a person with a disability or a disabled Veteran and you wish to request an accommodation, please complete an Accommodation Request Form. You may obtain the form from the Equal Opportunity Office, Human Resources, or in the Forms section, of this website. Return the form to the Equal Opportunity Office, 25 Buick St.

If you have any questions or need assistance, please contact Kim Randall, Executive Director of Equal Opportunity, at the Equal Opportunity Office, 617-353-9286.