Pitch & Pizza Competition
The 2014 Spring Pitch & Pizza Competition Winners
February 7, 2014
We are thrilled to announce the 6 teams who will go on to compete in the Semi-Finals Round of the New Venture Competition on Friday, Feb. 28. Congratulations to all who participated. The winner listing below is alpha by company name.
- Campuslively is a web application that allows students, groups and faculty to post events to all students at their university, increasing awareness and attendance. Team includes Matt Sliwkowski, SMG ’14 and Jake Marsh.
- Crusoe Ventures, LLC: Chapter provides an interactive communication platform designed with specific solutions for Greek organizations. Features include payment options, executive feeds, calendars, automatic check-in and more. Team includes Mitchell Uris SMG ’14, Daniel Popov SJC ’13, and Koh Kitagawa SMG ’14.
- The Frost Monster is a 5K winter-time obstacle course run. Participants sled down hills, carry Christmas trees and crawl through snow for a fun challenge. Founded by James Megliola, GSM ’14.
- GI Teddy, founded by Veteran Justin Mendoza, CFA ’14, offers teddy bears that symbolize and honor US Armed Service Members allowing families and supporters to purchase and personalize each bear.
- GoLow is a golf app that teaches mid-handicap golfers how to practice the short game. GoLow includes tutorials, visual feedback, and games simulating course conditions. Founded by Emily Tillo, SMG ’16.
- Unitiques.com is a free market just for your college, where students safely exchange items on campus. We’re already enabling our thousand+ users to make & save money. Founded by Alexandra Shadrow, COM ’15.
About Pitch & Pizza
This event is OPEN to all BU students and alumni who want to:
- Pitch an idea
- Join a business
- Identify people to join their business or
- Simply watch the pitches
Want to join a team? Listen to all of the ‘pitchers’ and then network afterwards with the team(s) that interest you. Email Chris Tuite directly if you have any questions about the event.
Pitch & Pizza Competition Rules:
1) Pitches are 60 seconds. Presenters will NOT be allowed to use PowerPoint or a computer during the pitch. However, you can bring visual aids to support or explain your product.
2) The competition is open to all current students in good academic standing at any school or college at BU and all alumni. Non-BU students can participate in a team but the ‘pitcher’ must be a BU student or alumni.
3) If you have won a BU competition in the past 24 months and received funding from BU, you will not be eligible for additional grant money. However, you are eligible for all other prizes and support.
Pitch & Pizza Competition Winners:
1) Are automatically eligible for the New Venture Semi-Finals Round taking place on Friday, Feb 28.
2) Can apply for a grant up to $250 to support the launch of your venture
3) Will be assigned a mentor to help you launch your business and create an executive summary (required for the Semi-Finals Round)
4) Have priority status for office-hours meetings with legal and other advisors
Congratulations to the Winners of the Fall 2013 Pitch & Pizza Competition
Congratulations to the following teams for winning the Fall 2013 Pitch & Pizza Competition
- Eloquence is an interactive website that enables second-language speakers to perfect their language ability and avoid derailed medical encounters. Team includes Sierra Brown CAS’14.
- Gaming Lounge aims to create a social gaming lounge environment that emphasizes the games first with food and drink secondary. Team includes Thomas Loui, ENG ’14.
- Gear for Guys is an online community-based rental marketplace that bring renters and leasers together more cost effectively. Team includes Ryan Casey, ENG ’14.
- Hull-a-Good Energy turns rice hulls into usable energy that will be sold back to the energy grid. Team includes Joshua Liebowitz, ENG ’16, Zac Sacher, ENG ’14, Nicole Madonna, ENG ’14, Kara Le Fort, ENG ’15.
- Ninebrain is a professional network for academic inventors to create up-to-date, online technology resumes for empowering tech-transfer. Team includes Arun Rai, MED ’14, Jason Naftulin, CAS ’11 and Ruby Kandah.
- Palenquera Exotic Fruits will import exotic, healthy and tasty, tropical fruits to the New England area. Team includes Juan Fernando Garcia, GSM ’13.
- Pyramid Technology makes it easy for companies and organizations to crowdsource their technology-based R&D initiatives. Team includes David Byrne, ENG ’12.
- Rx Tiger is a smartphone based application that helps physicians identify co-pays for medications to increase compliance and patient satisfaction. Team includes Aneel Damle, GSM ’14.
- Streem is a platform to streamline maintenance and payment issues for residential apartments. Team includes Amar Ruparelia, SMG ’12.