2014 New Venture Competition Winners
The BU New Venture Competition really helped us shape our business focus and hone our product down. We certainly would not be here today without the help of the amazing team behind the competition! Arun Rai (MED ’14) – Founder, Ninebrain
Congratulations to the Winners of the 2014 New Venture Competition Finals held on Tuesday, April 15 at the School of Management:
First Place: Ninebrain is a professional network for academic inventors to create up-to-date, online technology resumes for empowering tech-transfer. Team includes Arun Rai (MED ’14) and Ruby Kandah.
Second Place: Chapter provides an interactive communication platform designed with specific solutions for Greek organizations. Features include payment options, executive feeds, calendars, automatic check-in and more. Team includes Mitchell Uris (SMG ’14), Daniel Popov, and Koh Kitagawa (SMG ’14).
Third Place: Campuslively is a newly launched web application that allows students, groups and faculty to share events with all students at their university, increasing awareness and attendance. Team includes Matt Sliwkowski (SMG ’14) and Jake Marsh.
- Eloquence is an interactive website that enables medical professionals to perfect their language ability and avoid derailed medical encounters. Team includes Sierra Brown (CAS ’14), Tatiana Smirnova SkolTech (MS ’16), and Yuvaraj Gunasekaran (ENG’14).
- Pyramid Technology makes it easy for companies and organizations to crowdsource their technology-based R&D initiatives. Team includes David Byrne (ENG ’12).
- Streem is a platform to streamline maintenance and payment issues for residential apartments. Team includes Amar Ruparelia (SMG ’12) and Anuj Shah (CAS ’12).
- Our Platinum Sponsor, WilmerHale awarded each of the top 3 winning teams a $1,000 cash prize and $5,000 in free legal services.
- $1,000 Morse Barnes-Brown Pendleton People’s Choice Award.
- One-on-One Presentation Coaching with Paul Horn of Paul Horn & Associates
- Cummings Properties Rent Credits of $15K, $10K, $5K and $5K
- A guaranteed spot in BU’s Venture Start-up Camp.
- A full application fee refund ($99) to participate in MassChallenge 2014 and the winner will be fast-tracked into MassChallenge’s semi-final round.
Thanks to our Sponsors
The New Venture Competitions are generously supported by our valued business partners:
Here’s How the Competition Works:
To help your business ideas grow, we offer a series of competitions that build upon your entrepreneurial spirit. There are three phases to the 2014 New Venture Competition, allowing numerous entrepreneurs to participate at each stage. These include our Pitch & Pizza Competitions held in the Fall and Spring, Semi-Finals and Finals Round. Open to the public, each competition features alumni and students from BU competing for the opportunity to win.
Three Phase Process:
1) Pitch & Pizza: 2 opportunities to advance to the Semi-Finals Round and receive feedback from a panel of experts
- Deliverable: 60 second pitch
- Eligibility: This round is now closed.
2) Semi-Finals: Pitch & Pizza Winners have an opportunity to advance to the Finals Round
- Deliverable: Executive Summary and 5-minute presentation to a panel of experts
- Eligibility: By invitation upon winning one of the Pitch & Pizza Competitions
3) Finals: Semi-Finals Winners have the opportunity to pitch your business to a panel of experts including angel investors.
- Deliverable: 10-minute presentation and Executive Business Plan
- Date: Tuesday, April 15, 2014, 4th Floor Executive Dining Rooms, School of Management