Julia Prewitt Brown
- Title Professor Emeritus
- Email email@example.com
- Education BA, Barnard College
MA, PhD, Columbia University
For CV click here
Teaching and Research Interests
- Nineteenth-century British literature and culture
- The history of the novel
- John Schlesinger and the City of Modern Life (forthcoming)
- The Bourgeois Interior: How the Middle Class Imagines Itself in Literature and Film (2008)
- Cosmopolitan Criticism: Oscar Wilde’s Philosophy of Art (1997)
- A Reader’s Guide to the Nineteenth Century English Novel (1985); Japanese translation (1987)
- Jane Austen’s Novels: Social Change and Literary Form (1979)
- “Hospitality Divorced from Home: The Cosmopolitan Idea(l) from Oscar Wilde to Satyajit Ray.” Wilde’s Other Worlds (2018)
- “’An Uncomfortable Truth’: John Schlesinger’s The Day of the Locust Reconsidered.” Literature/Film Quarterly. Fall 2017.
- “Box Office Failure: Honky Tonk Freeway and the Risks of Embarrassing the United States.” Jump Cut. No. 57, fall 2016.
- “An Eye for an I: Identity and Nation in the Films of John Schlesinger.” Journal of Popular Film and Television (2016)
- “Sunday Bloody Sunday Revisited.” CineAction (2015)
- “John Schlesinger’s Bildungsfilm: Midnight Cowboy and the Problem of Youth.” Modern Fiction Studies (2013)
- “The Moral Scope of the English Bildungsroman.” The Oxford Handbook of the Victorian Novel (2013)
- “Robinson Crusoe’s ‘Tent Upon the Earth’” Journal of Architecture (2008)
Honors, Grants, Awards
- North American Scholar Award, Jane Austen Society
- Senior Fellow, Humanities Foundation, Boston U.
- Mellon Foundation Grant, Harvard U.
- Henderson Senior Research Fellowship, Humanities Foundation, Boston U.
- Humanities Foundation Enhancement Grant
- Student Legacy Gift Honoree, Boston U.
- Jane Austen’s Novels nominated for James Russell Lowell Award.
- Faculty Fellow, Columbia U.
- Allison Prize for excellence in literature, Barnard College
- Phi Beta Kappa, Barnard College