Professor (ME, MSE)
- Office 730 Commonwealth Avenue, EMA 206
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone (617) 353-7708
- Website Uday Pal
Professor (ME, MSE)
- Education Ph.D., Pennsylvania State University
- Areas of Interest Fuel cells * Chemical thermodynamics * Kinetics and transport phenomena to model the behavior of electrochemical systems
- Research Areas The overarching theme of Professor Pal’s research is to utilize materials-based solutions to the critical environmental and energy crises confronting us. Electrochemical Devices convert and utilize chemical and electrical energies at high efficiencies and are thus eminently suited for many applications resulting in reduced greenhouse gas emissions. Life and cost of these devices and systems are principal barriers to their commercialization.
On-going research in Professor Pal’s laboratory are on: solid oxide fuel cells, solid-oxide-membrane based electrolytic cells for converting waste to hydrogen, hydrogen storage materials, solid-oxide-membrane based inert anodes for green syntheses of energy-intensive metals, and devices based on mixed-ion-electron-conducting oxide membranes for generating and separating pure hydrogen from hydrocarbons enabling CO2 sequestration.
- L.J. Miara, S.N. Basu, U.B. Pal, and S. Gopalan, ” 2D Numerical Model for Identification of Oxygen Reduction Reaction Mechanisms in Patterned Cathodes of La0.6Sr0.4Co0.2Fe0.8O3-δ“, J. Electrochemical Society, 159 (8), 2012, p. F419.
- R. Haboury, U.B. Pal, P.A. Zink, S. Gopalan, and S.N. Basu, “Study of an Energy Storage and Recovery Concept based on the W/WO3 Redox Reaction Part I. Kinetic Study and Modeling of the WO3 Reduction Process for Energy Storage”, Metallurgical and Materials Transaction B, 43 (4), 2012, p. 1001.
- X. Guan, P.A. Zink, U.B. Pal, and A.C. Powell, “Recycling of Magnesium Alloy Employing Refining and Solid Oxide Membrane (SOM) Electrolysis”, Metallurgical and Materials Transactions B, 44 (4), 2013, p. 261
- J. Milshtein, E. Gratz, S.N. Basu, S. Gopalan, and U.B. Pal, “Study of the two-step W/WO3solar to fuel conversion cycle for syn-gas production”, Journal of Power Sources 236, 2013, p. 95.
- J. Milshtein, E. Gratz, S. Pati, A.C. Powell, and U.B. Pal, “Yttria stabilized zirconia membrane stability in molten fluoride fluxes for low-carbon magnesium production by the SOM process”, Journal of Mining and Metallurgy, Section B: Metallurgy, 49(2), 2013, p. 183.
- G.H Zhang, K.C. Chou, and U.B Pal, “Estimation of Sulfide Capacities of Multicomponent Slags Using Optical Basicity”, ISIJ International, 53(5), 2013, p. 761
- E.S. Gratz, J.D. Milshtein, and U.B. Pal, “Determining Yttria-Stabilized Zirconia (YSZ) Stability in Molten Oxy-Fluoride Flux for the Production of Magnesium with the SOM Process”, J. Am. Ceram. Soc., DOI: 10.1111/jace.12449, 1–7 (2013).
- X. Guan, U.B. Pal, and A.C. Powell, “An Environmentally Friendly Process Involving Refining and Membrane-Based Electrolysis for Magnesium Recovery from Partially Oxidized Scrap Alloy”, J. of Metals, DOI: 10.1007/s11837-013-0659-3, 65 (10), 2013, p.1285.
- X. Guan, U.B. Pal, S. Gopalan, and A.C. Powell, “LSM (La0.8Sr0.2MnO3-δ)–Inconel Inert Anode Current Collector for Solid Oxide Membrane (SOM) Electrolysis”, J. of Electrochemical Society, DOI: 10.1149/2.016311jes, 160 (11), 2013, F.1179.
- E. S. Gratz, X. Guan, J. Milshtein, U.B. Pal, and A.C. Powell, “Mitigating the Electronic Current in Solid Oxide Membrane Electrolysis for Magnesium Production”, Metallurgical and Materials Transaction B, DOI: 10.1007/s11663-014-0060-9 (2014).
- X. Guan, U.B. Pal, and A.C. Powell, “Environmentally Friendly Solid Oxide Membrane Electrolysis Process for Magnesium Oxide Reduction: Experiment and Modeling”,Metallurgical and Materials Transactions E, DOI: 10.1007/s40553-014-0013-x (2014).
- U.B. Pal, “Oxygen-Producing Inert Anodes for SOM Process,” U.S. Patent 8,658,007, February 25, 2014.
- U.B. Pal and S. Gopalan, “Waste to Hydrogen Conversion and Related Apparatus,” U.S. Patent Application No. 13/632,672, Notice of Allowance December 3, 2013, to be Issued in 2014.