Ophelia K. C. Tsui
Professor (Physics, MSE)
Professor (Physics, MSE)
- Primary Appointment Physics
- Education University of Hong Kong, B. Sc. in Physics (First class honors), Princeton University, Ph. D. in Physics
- Additional Affiliations Division of Materials Science & Engineering
- Honors and Awards Fellow, American Physical Society, 2011
- Areas of Interest Synthetic and biological macromolecules.
- Research Areas My research interests encompass several areas of soft condensed matter physics, including the dynamics of polymer nanometer films and nanocomposites, dewetting instability of polymer thin films, wetting properties of textured surfaces, and control of particle trajectories in microfluidics. As atomic force microscopy (AFM) is a major tool in my research, I am also engaged in the development and application of various AFM techniques such as AFM mechanics, nanotribology and nanolithography.
- “Glass Transition Dynamics and Surface Layer Mobility in Unentangled Polystyrene Films”, Z. Yang, Y. Fujii, F. K. Lee, C. -H. Lam, O. K. C. Tsui, Science, 328, 1676 (2010).
- “Wettability of End-Grafted Polymer Brush by Chemically Identical Polymer Films”, X. Zhang, F. K. Lee, Ophelia K. C. Tsui, Macromolecules, 41, 8148 (2008).
- “Variable Liquid Crystal Pretilt Angles by Nanostructured Surfaces”, F. S. Y. Yeung, J. Y. Ho, Y. W. Li, F. C. Xie, O. K. C. Tsui, P. Sheng, H. S. Kwok, Appl. Phys. Lett., 88, 051910 (2006).
- “Liquid Crystal Orientation Transition on Microtextured Substrates”, Baoshe Zhang, Fuk Kay Lee, Ophelia K. C. Tsui, Ping Sheng, Phys. Rev. Lett., 91, 215501 (2003).
- “Study on the Origin of Inverted Phase in Drying Solution-Cast Block Copolymer Films”, Haiying Huang, Fajun Zhang, Zhijun Hu, Binyang Du, Tianbai He, Fuk Kay Lee, Yongjian Wang, Ophelia K. C. Tsui, Macromolecules, 36, 4084 (2003).
- “Effect of C60 Molecular Rotation on Nanotribology”, Qi Liang, O. K. C. Tsui, Yabo Xu, Hongnian Li, Xudong Xiao, Phys. Rev. Lett., 90, 146102 (2003).
- “Effect of Interfacial Interactions on the Glass Transition of Polymer Thin Films”, O. K. C. Tsui, T. P. Russell, C.J. Hawker, Macromolecules, 34, 5535 (2001).
- “Studying Surface Glass-to-Rubber Transition Using Atomic Force Microscopic Adhesion Measurements” O.K.C. Tsui, X. P. Wang, Jacob Y. L. Ho, T. K. Ng, Xudong Xiao, Macromolecules, 33, 4198 (2000).
- “Sharp Magnetoabsorption Resonances in the Vortex State of Bi2Sr2CaCu2O8+d”, Ophelia K. C. Tsui, N. P. Ong, Y. Matsuda, Y. F. Yan and J. B. Peterson, Phys. Rev. Lett. 73, 724 (1994).