Micah Dembo, Ph.D.
- Office ERB 223
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone (617) 353-1671
- Fax (617) 353-6766
- Primary Appointment Professor, Biomedical Engineering
- Education Ph.D., Biomathematics, Cornell University
B.S., Mathematics, Allegheny College
- Areas of Interest Statistical mechanics in biological systems; cellular information processing and signal transduction; thermodynamics and mechanics of cell adhesion; biophysics of cell deformation, active motility.
- Research Areas Dr. Dembo’s research is in the area of cellular mechanics. This involves the characterization of the mechanical properties of living cells, the elucidation of the molecular basis of these properties and the exploitation of these properties to design systems, processes and devices for medical and industrial applications. Currently he is focusing on questions relating to the mechanics and control of the actin cytoskeleton. His work includes measurement of the forces and stresses produced by individual cells during active locomotion, finite element modeling of cytokinesis, finite element modeling of amoeboid locomotion, the role of the cytoskeleton in oncogenic transformation.