Lucia M. Vaina, M.D./Ph.D.
- Primary Appointment Professor, Department of Biomedical Engineering
- Education Ph.D., Mathematical Logic, Sorbonne, France
Doctorat d’Etat ès Sciences & Médecine (Neurologie),
Human & Computational Vision,Institut National Politechnique de Toulouse, France
M.S., U. Timisoara and Urbino, Italy
- Additional Affiliations Research Professor of Neurology, School of Medicine
- Areas of Interest Dr. Vaina’s main areas of current interest involve: (a) models of visual motion analysis in the human brain based on computational, psychophysical, structural and functional-neuroanatomical methods; (b) functional plasticity-learning and neurocovery: physchophysics, functional neuroimaging and neuronal network models; (c) Functional MRI of the human visual system.
- Research Areas Computational visual neuroscience: neuronal mechanisms underlying spatial representation, visual motion perception, perception and action, using functional neuroimaging, psychophysics and computational modeling.
Theoretical Engineering and Neuroinformatics: development of computational tools to facilitate and automate the analysis of large volume of fMRI and MEG data and find patterns in the data (data mining). We will both build the tools for general use, and apply them to specific research projects in brain science.