Frank Guenther, Ph.D.
Professor, (Speech, Language, & Hearing Science, BME) Associate Director, Graduate Program for Neuroscience
Professor, (Speech, Language, & Hearing Science, BME)
Associate Director, Graduate Program for Neuroscience
- Primary Appointment Professor, Speech, Language, & Hearing Science
- Education PhD, Cognitive and Neural Systems, Boston University, Boston, MA, 1993
MS, Electrical Engineering, Princeton University, Princeton, NJ, 1987
BS, Electrical Engineering, University of Missouri-Columbia, 1986
- Additional Affiliations Department of Biomedical Engineering
- Areas of Interest Neural modeling and imaging of the neural processes underlying syllable production in neurologically normal individuals and individuals with spasmodic dysphonia.
Neural modeling and imaging of the neural processes underlying the learning of new speech sounds by neurologically normal individuals and individuals who stutter.
Development of an electroencephalography-based brain-computer interface that allows patients suffering from locked-in syndrome to control software applications on a computer.
Development of invasive brain-computer interfaces involving cortical implants.
- Research Areas Frank Guenther’s research combines theoretical modeling with behavioral and neuroimaging experiments to characterize the neural computations underlying speech and language. Guenther is also involved in the development of brain-machine interfaces to restore communication to individuals suffering from locked-in syndrome, characterized by complete paralysis with intact cognition.
Selected Recent Publications
Guenther, F.H., Cai, S., Ghosh, S.S., and Perkell, J.S. “Focal Manipulations of Formant Trajectories Reveal a Role of Auditory Feedback in the Online Control of Both Within-Syllable and Between-Syllable Speech Timing” Journal of Neuroscience . 31 (16483-90). (2011)
Guenther, F.H., Golfinopoulos, E., and Tourville, J.A. “The Integration of Large-Scale Neural Network Modeling and Functional Brain Imaging in Speech Motor Control” NeuroImage . 52 (862-874). (2010)
Guenther, F.H., Brumberg, J.S., Wright, E.J., Nieto-Castanon, A., Tourville, J.A., Panko, M., Law, R., Siebert, S.A., Bartels, J.L., Andreasen, D.S., Ehirim, P., Mao, H., and Kennedy, P.R. “A Wireless Brain-Machine Interface for Real-Time Speech Synthesis” PLoS ONE . 4 (12). (2009)
Guenther, F.H., Ghosh, S.S., and Tourville, J.A. “Neural Modeling and Imaging of the Cortical Interactions Underlying Syllable Production Brain and Language . 96 (280-301). (2006)