College of Engineering Policies

Engineering IT User Maintenance
Engineering IT Change Management


Please contact ENGIT when making technical purchases. We can assist you in deciding which equipment would best serve your needs as well as providing support during the purchasing process. Please send an email to enghelp@bu.edu in order to speak with a staff member to discuss your needs.

Departmental software from Microsoft and Adobe has moved to the IT Help Center:

Computers and everything else:

Securing Information Guidelines

  • Never store social security numbers, license numbers or financial numbers in unencrypted databases or unsecured spreadsheets.
  • Files and databases that do hold private and personal information should not be stored on local computers but rather on physically secured server space.
  • Do not send personal information over email.
  • Do not share your passwords with other individuals or tape them on monitors, etc.

Data Retention

Once an Engineering affiliated user leaves the University their data within their home directory (X drive) will remain available until that user’s ACS/AD account is removed from the domain at which point their home directory will be deleted. A user’s ACS/AD account remains active for approximately 6 months after leaving the University unless extenuating circumstances exist.

Print Quota

The beginning of every academic year engineering students are provided $150.00 as print quota for use within the College of Engineering. Various labs in ENG, including Ingalls, require students have printer quota available to them when attempting to print.

University Policies

Computing Ethics
Information Security Policy
Information Security Management Guidelines
Broadcast Emails Policies


Connecting multiple devices to a single Ethernet connection can be done using a hub or switch. Do not use a router or any wireless access point as they are prohibited on the BU network.

What is the difference between a hub, a switch, and a router? A router uses “Network Address Translation” (NAT) and does not work properly on the BU Residential Network. Instead, you want a “switch” or a “hub” — different variations on the same theme, with the key point that they do not do their own network address translation.