SE New Student Guide
Here you’ll find a number of resources to help get you started with your new academic life at Boston University.
NOTE TO NEW STUDENTS: Be sure to check your BU Email address! The College of Engineering sent Early Bird emails to BU email addresses on May 8. The Division emailed advisor assignments and Registration information on May 10.
Fall 2018 Important Dates
- August 10, 4pm: Deadline to sign up for the Semester MBTA Pass
- Now to September 17: Registration (if needed), Elizabeth Flagg, 15 St. Mary’s Street, Rm 119.
- September 4: First Day of Classes
- Medical Insurance Waiver: The completed Medical Insurance Waiver must be received by Student Accounting Services to waive participation for the Fall 2018 semester. Refer to this page for details on the process and eligibility.
Resources you may need for the Registration Process and New Student Check List outlined below. Includes Forms, Important Dates, Course Information, Account and Other Resources (Student Accounts, IT, Room Access and more), Policies and Procedures
- Contact your Advisor (by email is fine) to discuss your course registration selection in person, by phone or by email.
Fall 2018 SE Courses
- Have your advisor approve your course selection. Forward your course approval email to the Graduate Programs Manager. Be sure to provide the complete course number (College, Course Number, Section, Credits).
- International masters students, your registration will be completed after you have received your visa authorization. Please let me know when your visa is approved.
New Student Check List
- Check In
International Students — Upon arrival, check in at the International Students & Scholars Office at 888 Commonwealth Avenue)
Everyone — Check in with Elizabeth Flagg, 15 Saint Mary’s Street, Rm 119.
- BU Email Account — set up your BU email. Contact the Graduate Programs Office for information on how to set up Early Bird email access.
- Confirm Registration on the Student Link.
- Settle your Student Account (Student Link or Student Accounting Office at 881 Commonwealth Ave).
- BU Terrier Card — go to the Terrier Card Office at 775 Commonwealth Avenue.
- Confirm Compliance with the University (emergency contact phone, immunizations, student account, MA Motor Vehicle Law acknowledgement)
International Student Resources
- Annual International Student Orientation Informational Meeting (check with ISSO about the meeting time — international students are required to attend. The date is not available at this time.)
- For pre-arrival information, please refer to the International Students and Scholars Office (ISSO) website.
- Please note that Immigration regulations allow you to enter the U.S. no earlier than 30 days prior to the start of your program indicated in section 5 of your SEVIS Form I-20.
- How to Obtain a Social Security Card for Student Employment
- How to fill out your W-4 Form (click on on the arrow to the right of the categories to see instructions, if applicable. For example, “If Your Country Does Not Have a Tax Treaty with the U.S.”